DIY project: A handy power supply PCB for small tube amps like preamps, buffers or microphones.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice re-use of the enclosure ,
I like something with that slightly used look , not beat up ,just marked from a lifetime of normal usage .

Crafty as well to use the voltage doubler off the standard 6.3v winding ,
As you said it offers up the possibillity of re-use of other mains transformers from vintage domestic tube gear.

Old tube reel to reel decks can often have a very high quality sheilded mains transformer to keep magnetic field away from the heads , they also tend to have an extra winding in the 10-20 volt range for dc powering of low level stage heaters , there a great candidate for re-use for any kind of preamp .

Love the artwork. I wish I was gifted that way.
Thanks! Anyone can do that, it's not a big deal. I simply download a few images I like from the internet and heat transfer them onto my front plate. I call it 'tattooing'...
Nice re-use of the enclosure ,
I like something with that slightly used look , not beat up ,just marked from a lifetime of normal usage .
I also really like this aesthetic. I enjoy going to flea markets (and scrapyards), and if I see something that catches my eye, I'll pick it up for a small price. The casing cost me 1€ along with a few other things. I knew immediately what I wanted to do with it. The voltmeter was a find from a scrapyard, if I remember correctly. I was thrilled when it turned out that it still works.
Old tube reel to reel decks can often have a very high quality sheilded mains transformer to keep magnetic field away from the heads , they also tend to have an extra winding in the 10-20 volt range for dc powering of low level stage heaters , there a great candidate for re-use for any kind of preamp .
That's true, you can find them quite often. I've cannibalised some that were at the end of their lifespan. A good resource for new projects. The feet on this unit are from a Grundig R2R tube tape recorder btw. ;)
20230719_073354.jpg

HINT: You may want to move the REF DES of C10, C11, C12, C13, C21, C22, C23, C25, R10 (twice), R17, R21 and R14.

/
Indeed....I hate it when "R1" or "C5" are hidden beneath the component as I work on a repair. That forces me to go back to a printed copy of the silkscreen layer and correlate that to the schematic.

Bri

My offer still stands!!! -- Send me your GERBER and N/C Drill files and I can do some "nifty" stuff on/with them before you send them off to have PCB's fabricated. Go ahead and PM me, should you wish to keep your files private.

Other members on here have done so and then had 100's of PCB's made. They were quite -- gleeful -- with the results of their new PCB's!!! Just sayin'.....
With all due respect, I've had you on my ignore list for quite some time due to bad experiences and am only now seeing your posts. I have no interest in working with you and would appreciate it if you would not comment on my work. I can't forbid you from doing so, but I would be very grateful if you would stay out of my threads in the future. There are enough other threads and Groupdiy is big enough for both of us so that we can stay out of each other's way without conflict. Thank you very much.

PS: I don't want to discuss this further here either, the thread has already suffered enough from spam.

Indeed....I hate it when "R1" or "C5" are hidden beneath the component as I work on a repair. That forces me to go back to a printed copy of the silkscreen layer and correlate that to the schematic.
Yep Brian, it would be better if you could see all the labels when the PCB is populated. But you should note that so far, since it is a self-etch project, no silk screen labeling was planned at all! ;) This is new in my witch's kitchen now, so I didn't pay much attention to it when I was designing it.

From now on it is different and I promise to pay attention to it from now on. Here is my latest project and as you can see, nothing is covered up.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 09-34-01 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png1000028150.jpg

Last edited:
For a minute there I thought maybe this was a microphone thread. :rolleyes:
===
@ Rock, why not put MidnightArrakis back on your Ignore list, maybe both of you should ignore each other...

@MidnightArrakis you have crossed a line with ad hominem breaking rule #4
#4 said:
4. You will find that the members of this community are courteous and respectful of each other, so please reciprocate those gestures. Leave the flame-war mentality at another forum. Personal attacks and generally hateful comments (regarding race, religion, gender, sex, etc...) will not be tolerated.

So stop it, both of you....

JR

@ Rock, why not put @MidnightArrakis back on your Ignore list, maybe both of you should ignore each other...
He is still on my ignore list, of course. But that doesn't stop this guy from filling up my threads with his psycho stuff..."ignoring each other" as you may have read, this is exactly what I suggested. Please re-read my last post.
So stop it, both of you....
There is no "both of you". I want this guy to stop, there is no need in this thread for NASA stories and bragging how competent this guy is. It is just a Project thread about a stone age style PSU for small tube amps. That´s all. I don´t want any service from this guy nor do I want to publish the Gerber files. I do not need help from this guy in any way.

I'm not the first person to have this problem with this guy. As soon as you talk about PCBs here in the forum, the guy pops up with his NASA stories and unwanted services. Then he spams the thread with completely irrelevant "I'm awesome" stuff and again "NASA" stories.

I've already articulated this to the mods and was told that the problem is known and that I should help educate this user.

Have fun! That's really not my job. I want him to stop bothering me with services I never asked for. I don't need this guy, really.

I don't want to talk to him, discuss or send him my data, none of that. What's so complicated about that?

He is still on my ignore list, of course. But that doesn't stop this guy from filling up my threads with his psycho stuff..."ignoring each other" as you may have read, this is exactly what I suggested. Please re-read my last post.
nah
There is no "both of you". I want this guy to stop, there is no need in this thread for NASA stories and bragging how competent this guy is. It is just a Project thread about a stone age style PSU for small tube amps. That´s all. I don´t want any service from this guy nor do I want to publish the Gerber files. I do not need help from this guy in any way.
It appears that his ad hominem rule breaking occurred in response to your unkind comments so take some ownership for your part in that at least.
I'm not the first person to have this problem with this guy. As soon as you talk about PCBs here in the forum, the guy pops up with his NASA stories and unwanted services. Then he spams the thread with completely irrelevant "I'm awesome" stuff and again "NASA" stories.
not against the written rules.
I've already articulated this to the mods and was told that the problem is known and that I should help educate this user.

Have fun! That's really not my job. I want him to stop bothering me with services I never asked for. I don't need this guy, really.

I don't want to talk to him, discuss or send him my data, none of that. What's so complicated about that?
Sounds like you should learn to ignore him. The internet is full of irritating people.

Do you think I enjoy herding cats here?

JR

Latest posts

Back