Haven't been showing off lately..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, unbalanced it is. There's a Mundorf Supreme cap in the output, nice cap.

+/-3dB.. It's definately enough! I very rarely use more EQ than that. The acoustics in my room are good, and 0,5dB has always been audible. When changing levels digitally, about 0,25 dB is still audible.

If I had designed it for more boost (and cut), I'd have had to think the gain make-up differently. A higher gain tube at least. The beauty of DIY is that you know exactly how you use these things and where you use them. I know the load this thing is feeding, so I got away with 22uF cap in the output. I know I don't need more than +3dB, so I could have a simple gain make-up amp..

crisotop said:
what a beauty - I absolutely love clean and simple panels

Me too, and it extends to the functions, too. I like simple equipment and restrictions that make you find the simpliest way to achive something in sound. My tools need to be something that don't require thinking when I'm working. I can honestly say there's nothing but blank in my head when I'm doing my job, listening. ;)

I was wondering where the transformers were, but of course it has to be unbalanced. I wonder about hum. I guess you must have pretty strict grounding policy in the whole studio?

Where did you get the panel engraving+paint done? I have about 4 different panel designs that need to be done and was wondering if you might have found some cheap CNC/engraving guy.

I was actually just looking at this before I saw your panel. http://www.aripakaiverrus.fi/index2.html

The panel was simply from Schaeffer. A bit pricey, but I only order a few panels.

My chain is unbalanced simply because I like to eliminate all the possible balancing/unbalancing I/O stages. This gets a few transformers off the chain, and some op-amps too. The noise floor is low, but I'm working on it making it even better.

Did I mention that you can remove both the top and bottom panel to access everything? I try to build all of my equipment like that from now on.

Sorr said:
Where did you get your tag strip

http://www.uraltone.com/kauppa/index.php?cPath=76_105

Looks like they accept PayPal 'n all now. Great shop, it's nearby me.

Gold said:
Looks great Jaakko. Aren't those Jensen input transformers?

Thanks Paul. They're Sowters, 9545 is the model I think. The biggest 4:1 I could get - and easy to mount, too.

Latest posts

Back