did anyone actually see the API knobs trademark patent?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
desol said:
I thought about it before, but figured i'd mess em up. Can't hurt to try one!

I actually placed two seperate orders from API for knobs(totalling over $100) and both were wrong.
Not Angel's fault, she did her best...but i'm thinking she should have been able to pass it off to someone, when the technical stuff couldn't be answered? There's clear part numbers for the knob types, sizes etc...

I left a few messages for both Ray and Mark to clear it up. No answer...no return calls which i thought
was rather rude, but whatever. Customer service should be customer service whether it's a 150k console, an
opamp or a single knob...imo.
Totally agree. I hear the customer service support was way worse when the last fella owned the company. I never had any issues but I've heard some downright nasty stuff. All post sale horror stories, but I guess there are always 3 side to every story...

The secret is in the clamping. Anything can be cut or machined but it must be held in place properly. Plus, you don't want to mar up the outside surface of the knob. Don't forget to remove the set screws before you drill. A local machine shop would probably do it for you. It would only take them a few minutes I'm sure.

Cheers, Jeff

Cool. Thanks for the advice...

Talked to a friend today who has a nice lathe in the garage.

His reply, "Easy, no problem". :)

D.

What is so great about API knobs anyways? ??? Their consoles sound great (if you can get one that actually works :eek:) but on the newer ( post '70s :p) desks the ergonomics suck. :mad: The knobs do not help the fact they are crammed in so close you need 3mm fingers to turn them ::). For actual human use :D give me an SSL any nanosecond of eternity :-*...and it seems like the "stacked knob" bit means that anyone can make, sell & use a single knob with impunity? ;)

Old subject; noticed something I hadn't before.  The original Spectra Sonics 610 used these type knobs.  Didn't see that mentioned anywhere. 

Latest posts

Back