Best Place to Buy Carnhill Transformers???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

I'm looking to buy Carnhill trans for a Neve project. Any good sources for these? Any group buys here?

I'm in the US.

thanks!
Nick

colin's audio maintenace site offers [ i believe ]
quantity pricing for single units
it's a decent deal , postage is a drag pricewise
but i don't know where it isn't these days

Anyone in the US with a pile of them?

I'm betting that quantity orders and reselling someone could make a profit. Seems like there's gotta be someone here who sells them.

The other question... Seventh Circle Audio has kits for the N72 Neve for $350 approx. Am I better off doing that than building myself from parts? I'm guessing parts will cost me around $200 per channel plus chassis and Power Supply. Is that accurate?

I believe Colin has it at the grp price right now
a big order would save on shipping and

I could use a few carnhill micpre i/o's too
but if there were any around people with TNC's
would have gotten them by now

Martins EZ1290 is a good board to use

Svart said:
if you etch your boards and use minimal parts then you can build 1272s for about 150$ a channel.

Aren't transformers around $100 alone? Maybe a little more after shipping?

Per channel:

62$ input
28$ output
53$ for chassis/4=13.25$
22$ for toroid/4= 5.5$

That's 108.75$ for the expensive stuff.

That still leaves 42$ for pots, transistors, caps, resistors and a home etched PCB per channel(plus shipping).  That's actually more than enough if you buy in bulk.

Now this doesn't account for a nice expensive front panel or meters or any fancy stuff. 

Svart said:

Per channel:

62$ input
28$ output
53$ for chassis/4=13.25$
22$ for toroid/4= 5.5$

That's 108.75$ for the expensive stuff.

That still leaves 42$ for pots, transistors, caps, resistors and a home etched PCB per channel(plus shipping).  That's actually more than enough if you buy in bulk.

Now this doesn't account for a nice expensive front panel or meters or any fancy stuff. 

Carnhill's are easy enough to say $115-$120 to your door in the states for one set IE one preamp from AudioMaintenace. I think I figured out when I priced things a year ago at slightly under $300 a preamp with good quality goodies and not considering Case etc.. It really pays to maximize you order across the pond, It was just a few more $ to add a pair of outputs to my order last in additional shipping charges over ordering them at a later time.

Since the GBP is fairly low against the USD I'm sure that $ value is slightly less, but then again everything else seems to be more today.

There are price breaks at 25, 50 and 100 anyway (they are not shown in the store as it can only handle shipments weighing less than 7kg).... the base price is the 25 off price + 5%.... above 25 pieces you get the full benefit of the Carnhill OEM price.

VTB9045
1 - 24 pieces - GBP  39.18  each
25 - 49 pieces - GBP 37.31  each
50 - 99 pieces - GBP 35.61  each
100 +  pieces - GBP 34.76   each

[All the real savings come between 1 and 25 pieces (the standard list price for a 1 off VTB9045 is GBP 119.01)]

It would probably make sense for small groups (eg Chicago area DIY group who will be meeting soon) to buy them together and then "hand them out" at the following meeting.... this way you benefit from bulk shipping and no further postal costs.... but you must factor in the import duties which are always applied by courier companies used for bulk shipping..... experience has shown that large Group Buys can sometimes be a lengthy and unsuccessful ordeal.... by keeping it small/local it would work quite well (I think).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

I have no agenda here, but my advice is to save the bother and go to Colin (you ship to the US, right, Colin?). I can only echo positive remarks about Audio Maintenance. Service is swift and prices are fair.

Justin

There is only one place to buy Carnhills........

AML

Colin's service is great, prices are better, & I have bought directly from Carnhill as well. They had to replace a transformer, & it was a PITA dealing with Carnhill.

Peter

Slenderchap said:
There are price breaks at 25, 50 and 100 anyway (they are not shown in the store as it can only handle shipments weighing less than 7kg).... the base price is the 25 off price + 5%.... above 25 pieces you get the full benefit of the Carnhill OEM price.

VTB9045
1 - 24 pieces - GBP  39.18  each
25 - 49 pieces - GBP 37.31  each
50 - 99 pieces - GBP 35.61  each
100 +  pieces - GBP 34.76  each

[All the real savings come between 1 and 25 pieces (the standard list price for a 1 off VTB9045 is GBP 119.01)]

It would probably make sense for small groups (eg Chicago area DIY group who will be meeting soon) to buy them together and then "hand them out" at the following meeting.... this way you benefit from bulk shipping and no further postal costs.... but you must factor in the import duties which are always applied by courier companies used for bulk shipping..... experience has shown that large Group Buys can sometimes be a lengthy and unsuccessful ordeal.... by keeping it small/local it would work quite well (I think).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Another post Revival. We are after looking for many parts. We have decided to purchase as much as possible from AML's list of parts.

Thanks Colin, sending parts list now.

Latest posts

Back