Modular multi channel DIY AD/DA Box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im tryin to catch up on this thread and figured id ask. 
Has anyone tried using a circuit containing an AL1402 (ADAT light pipe decoder) to feed into this?

Here is the next picture for you:
The AES inputs with some additional cabeling for testing.

Raphael

Attachments

• DSC_0003.png
    DSC_0003.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 380
rkn80 said:
The AESins are now all working! :)

it grows... it lives!!!
;D ;D ;D

have you tried using a channel from each board simultaneously then?  also curious what the final assembled height is, or more directly whether two of the assembled mainboards can stack in a 1u.  seeing this thread on page 1 always makes my day.

Next deck. ;)

grantlank, depending on your enclosure, it may not be possible to stack to boards in a 1u-enclosure. The distance between the boards is 2cm. The distance is needed by the transformers on the AESin modules. It may work if you change the order. Not sure. I'll use a 3u but only because I want to reuse an old one.

Raphael

Attachments

• DSC_0004.PNG
    DSC_0004.PNG
    238.1 KB · Views: 203
You're making one serious deck on the first try. I really like seeing this thread move, as I have populated and tested my preliminary set up of 8in 8out with AES interfaces. Of course they don't really do anything since there is no clocking yet. I did a quick hack attempt at clocking with my RME HDSP, but I'm ashamed to even mention it now. And of course it didn't work, and at least I didn't break my soundcard!

One question, these mainboards seem to be for DAC and AESin boards only (perhaps AES out, too), but how are the ADC longer/thinner boards accommodated?

I'm still workin on mine! Just bought some chips the other day. Slowly collecting parts... long process! I don't have any SMD stuff before this.

Thinkin of rolling my own ADAT tx on an FPGA/CPLD.... add it to the list of to-do's haha!

I'm waiting the motherboard. And kind of wait for a year or so if there is some news on the Dante interface ;)

I'm still building this, eagerly waiting for the motherboards and clocking. But currently funds are also low so I have one variant of this project on sale in black market. If no one bites, I will end up finishing that one as well.

Hi,

first of all, sorry for the long delay. It has been really busy here the last few weeks and therefore, I didn't make progress on the mainboards. They do work so far. Only there is a small bug in one enable line: it was floating instead of pulled down either to ground or to VCC. But anyway I'm not happy with the design of the mainboard. It is not that flexible like I want.
Besides that I did some work on an Ethernet Audio-Connection to connect the box to a PC. I think I should first finish that because it may happen that this need a change of the mainboard again. I hope that I'll find time to finish that the next weeks.
Anyway what do you think? Is it better to have a mainboard that holds many modules (like 8 modules or so) or would you prefer a small mainboard for only two modules? And who many interest are there for a mainboard?

Raphael

P.S. Regarding clocking: When you have AESin modules you can configure one of them to generate all the clocks you need.

Hi Raphael,

For me personally, a mainboard will be nice nice to have, but mounting two modules is enough - I've invested in 8 channels so far and the way things are going will consider another eight maximum, so a huge motherboard would really be surplus to my personal needs. 

One critical thing for me however is the audio over Ethernet - I'm delighted to hear you've made some progress with this :)

That said, I'm out of the country and away from diy for the next three months, so my vote doesn't count in terms of what gets prioritised...

Thanks for all your continued work on this project.  It's really hotting up now!

Cheers

Rob

Hey Raph

As for me, I am fine with a small board that holds only 2 modules of either side.

Good to see this project hotting up as well. Its the most exciting thing since I accidently touched the heater windings on a fender princeton amp:)

Latest posts

Back