My multi-channel Reamp and Passive and Bo Hansen DI Box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelivingroom

GDIY Supporter
About 10 years ago I built a 4-channel Reamp and 4-channel DI in a rack chassis for my control room, because like many others I like to send things out to amps, pedals, Leslie, etc. when I’m mixing, but I hate clutter and didn’t want a bunch of individual boxes all over my rack. I was new to DIY at the time, and never liked how my Reamp turned out (wrong transformer ratio choice on my end, and some other mistakes), and I didn’t add an impedance control. The Cinemag DI’s sounded great though, so I also regretted making it a permanent control room rack fixture when there were times I could’ve used the extra DI’s in the studio while tracking. I recently discovered a couple of old Jensen JE-11P’s while reorganizing all of my parts, ordered two more JT-11P’s, and decided to redo it in a box that can be used in the control room or out in the studio. Since I had two extra Bo Hansen DI pcb’s (thanks Volker!) I added those to it, as well. The 4 Reamp ins and 4 passive DI outs connect to a DB25 that I ran to my patchbay, along with two XLR’s for the Bo’s. I also made a DB25 to male XLR snake so I can disconnect the box from the rack and use it in the studio. CAPI has a great little DB25 pcb that made the wiring for inside the box a breeze (thanks @jsteiger). The Reamp is standard Jensen schematic, and the DI’s follow the Cinemag schematic. It all sounds fantastic now! I listened to music through it for hours on my monitors and headphones, going from console > Reamp > DI > AEA RPQ, and A/B-ing it sounded identical once I got the impedance dialed in. I know none of this is earth-shattering and is pretty basic to most people in here, but I greatly enjoyed the fabrication and love how it turned out. I thank each of you in here for what I’ve learned along the way!

I designed the internal plate that everything mounts to and the ring that sandwiches the Hammond enclosure panel between it and the front panel in Autocad and had it made by SendCutSend (WAY cheaper than FPE for stuff like that). Front and rear panels are from Front Panel Express.

ACD47B98-B626-4D86-8254-94B9617C173B.jpeg74F57CC0-064F-462A-9E00-5706559D243C.jpeg3061B354-9F30-43A8-89DC-1F3BF19552E6.jpegB2744D75-4994-4DE9-A859-FCBF4BB93BDF.jpeg
702248BF-2D36-4972-96BC-9306652348D2.jpeg51E86506-48C0-49ED-8232-793DA9A2C545.jpeg768FB3C7-BA9B-4AB1-BAF2-A811BC775A29.jpeg
0BAF6700-D6FF-4EAA-A0BC-660B3412CE1C.jpeg
076B4BC8-67CF-4E57-B02A-C2C320C98969.jpeg98E367B3-D576-4ADF-A359-19EEC983F122.jpeg
73FF87C9-FB6C-4921-A059-997B66F140A7.jpegDB883797-3B7E-47A5-A585-57C05FACBBAF.jpeg

That's bloody gorgeous! I love the concept, I love the execution, and the graphic design is just wonderful. Great work!
Thank you so much! After making a test print of the front panel on paper with the background white and the stock FPE blue and seeing how off it looked against the enclosure, I called Hammond and got the RAL numbers for the blue and beige, converted them to RGB, then made the background and blue images in Inkscape. It’s slightly off due to printers rarely being perfect, but I’m really happy I did that!

Beautiful work! That panel has a look that makes you want to use the thing, it just looks fun!

Would you mind sharing the RAL numbers for the blue and beige from Hammond? I've used their blue enclosures before and had a bear of a time trying to match the color. I even found a datasheet at one point that stated a RAL number that was obviously incorrect. In the end I gave it my best guess by holding my little book of RAL swatches up against the enclosure, but I still didn't quite get a perfect match in the final product.

Beautiful work! That panel has a look that makes you want to use the thing, it just looks fun!

Would you mind sharing the RAL numbers for the blue and beige from Hammond? I've used their blue enclosures before and had a bear of a time trying to match the color. I even found a datasheet at one point that stated a RAL number that was obviously incorrect. In the end I gave it my best guess by holding my little book of RAL swatches up against the enclosure, but I still didn't quite get a perfect match in the final product.
Thank you for the compliments!

Their blue is RAL 5021 Gulf Blue, and the beige is RAL 7032 Pebble Grey. Glad I could help!

That is a thing of beauty and i feel i need one of these in my life!

Absolutely top job there. Your attention to detail is awesome. It just looks so cool!

Are the Bo Hansen pcbs still available?

That is a thing of beauty and i feel i need one of these in my life!

Absolutely top job there. Your attention to detail is awesome. It just looks so cool!

Are the Bo Hansen pcbs still available?
Thank you!

Bo Hansen pcb’s are still available through Silent Arts, and he has lots of other great stuff. Here’s his White Market page:
51xAudio by [silent:arts]

Latest posts

Back