How about a 'free stuff' or 'parts needed' thread?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah , tubedepot does have what i'm looking for , thanks
on a whole i don't find their prices great but for two
pieces it doesn't matter , bigger problem though
last time i checked they only ship UPS to Canada
and UPS tries to extort a brokerage fee or they
make you run around for hours doing your own paperwork

check that they do seem to offer u.s.p.s. [ which i think is reasonable ]

I have given this some thought, and something like this would be a service to the DIYers around here.. I have many parts laying around from decades of designing stuff and even some inventory from my old kit business, so I would likely be more of a contributor than recipient. That said the only way IMO for this to work is to run it like a small business.

When people contribute parts, they ship them to the central warehouse prepaid and advise central book keeping what the parts originally cost. The contributor earns a credit when his parts are bought by somebody else... The buyer pays 100% of shipping cost to him, + a handling charge. + The price of the parts should be something nominal like 10% of original cost, more or less.

The problem is that this is bunch of work for somebody, including accounting, packing and shipping, etc. The handling add on has to be fair, but not billed at my hourly rate..  8)

I have a bunch of parts, but I value my time too much to give them away... maybe if I could give them to somebody else to give away, it would be less painful.

Just my $.02

JR

I like your idea of value & credit
not throwing or giving away but co-operative

need someone retired with allot of time on their hands
and allot of patient people

I have gobs of 60s/70s NOS 7 pin tube sockets(solder lug) if anyone's interested.

Also have a number of 7 & 9 pin NOS PCB mount sockets as well.

Also have some extra NOS Sprague orange barrell .047 200VDC 10% film caps

I like the idea of 'Surplus Trading' a little better than giveaways.  With trading you have incentive given to both sides with the common goal of getting shed of overstock and getting something more useful in return.

Something I'd like to trade these for is Octal sockets (solder lug).

Perhaps there should be 2 threads.  I've been watching and gathering my own ideas.

I still stand by my original idea (with minor refinement) - purely a 'parts needed' thread.  Maybe a 3 different component limit and nothing larger than 1 stamp can handle.  I'd add to that, ask for something once - no bumping.  Either you get the part or you order it yourself.  Of course at the end of the day it's up to each of us to decide what we're going to send out.  But generally speaking, no building a GSSL out of free parts from a lot of other people.

Part 2: we've all got a lot of extra parts lying around.  'Surplus trading' sounds like a great concept.  Give a little, take a little.  But it also seems like there's a fine line between offering up parts and simply selling them in the BM section.

So I'd say 2 independent threads.

To bruno2000,

PM'd about sockets (I've occasionally had trouble with reply PMs not going thru ) 

geoff004 said:
Part 2: we've all got a lot of extra parts lying around.  'Surplus trading' sounds like a great concept.  Give a little, take a little.  But it also seems like there's a fine line between offering up parts and simply selling them in the BM section.

This crossed my mind as well.
I thought of making a list of all my overstock components, and put them in the BM section, entitled "Helterbelter's trading overstock" or something similar.
It's not selling, not giving for free either.
For instance, I'd like to have a stock of 40-50 resistors of each value, so in case I've got 100 of a certain value, I can offer 50 of them here, and somebody else can trade me 50 resistors of another value(s). Or caps, trimmers, or whatever. I think this will be an excellent way of getting a suitable stock for everybody.

Uhm, what the hell, I'd better start making a list of my materials.....

J.R.'s idea of a clearing point was a good one
but not without it's hang ups
i've good stuff that is borderline not worth postage
but toogood to throw out

Perhaps a thread where people post ONLY ONCE
and take the responsability to update
surplus have
items needed

keep communications OFF the thread so the postings are
clean and to the point  , not plugging them up with i got  , or thanks
or where do you get this

not a money maker with the time it takes to respond
and ship things

problem still is trying to line up trades  or sending to people who
don't have something equal or usable in exchange which is where
the clearing house idea is good but adds time and postage not
to mention who & where

could turn into multi party trades , % of success ?

I could use 4 each of those 7 and 9 pin sockets.  

I have some BC184C that I could send out.

I also came across a bag of unmatched FD333 diodes.  They really aren't worth much in the quantities that people need them.

My suggestion is to make a "Surplus Offered" thread, where everyone can put their stuff, and to keep it fair, only send stuff to people offering surplus too. That way we can keep leechers out.

Any more thoughts on making this an evermore popular thread?
Bruno2000 really helped me out - it probably wasn't a big deal for him.  Most of us here are eager to help out others.
I'd be glad to do the same for someone else.
Anyone?

I've got a bunch of Hammond parts that are literally going to go in the trash. Basically the carcass of a couple of M-3's and an old Wurlitzer.  M3 parts will service other spinets and some of the consoles like the "3" series in particular. If you need something specific, then I'll check for it. Please don't ask me for a list of what I have, it's too much to list. It's free if I clip it out, but I'll have to ask something if you want it neatly de-soldered, depending what it is (i.e. matching tx or drawbars). Shipping and PP fees apply if using PP.

Back