Free DSP scripts for measuring audio stuff

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great video. Was scared to watch actually but you made it very understandable. Kinda blown away actually. Looking forward to this project's progress.
Thanks!
Now off to listen to some Toto... :)
Hahaha I was using the toto song as test, I just browsed google for "Free wav files" and I basically downloaded the first things I found, eventhough the Toto song is not free, I think I downloaded it from an MIT webpage, it is 22.05KHz and just some seconds

eventhough the Toto song is not free, I think I downloaded it from an MIT webpage, it is 22.05KHz and just some seconds
You can use up to 10% of a recording up to 30 seconds but only if it's for certain purposes which includes critiquing, or in this case, analyzing it for educational purposes.

You can use up to 10% of a recording up to 30 seconds but only if it's for certain purposes which includes critiquing, or in this case, analyzing it for educational purposes.
Thats good to know, does that apply also to YouTube streaming? I know YouTube is very picky about that kind of thing

Thats good to know, does that apply also to YouTube streaming? I know YouTube is very picky about that kind of thing
The so called "Fair Use" clause should apply yes. You can post your video with the fragment of a Toto song because you are analyzing the audio for educational purposes and it's less then 10%/30s.

If you mean, can you copy something from another YouTube video then again, as long as your content is about critiquing or analyzing or reviewing the content and it's under 10%/30s, then it should be ok.

However, using audio from a YouTube video of a Toto song does not somehow circumvent copyright of the Toto song. Copyright still applies to the Toto song and not the video. The video would not be a completely new work. It would be a derived work to which the Toto copyright holder would have a claim.

One issue that you might consider however is that you probably cannot distribute a .wav file of a raw clip of the Toto song because, by itself, it is not a critique or analysis. So when you post or DSP scripts, you'll have to leave out the .wav examples.

It might be clearer and more interesting to analyze an individual instrument anyway in which case you might just create a recording of fiddling on some keyboard. If you used a synth sequencer you could make a clip with a wide range of frequencies / note attack / intensity which might be good for other reasons in this particular application.

The so called "Fair Use" clause should apply yes. You can post your video with the fragment of a Toto song because you are analyzing the audio for educational purposes and it's less then 10%/30s.

If you mean, can you copy something from another YouTube video then again, as long as your content is about critiquing or analyzing or reviewing the content and it's under 10%/30s, then it should be ok.

However, using audio from a YouTube video of a Toto song does not somehow circumvent copyright of the Toto song. Copyright still applies to the Toto song and not the video. The video would not be a completely new work. It would be a derived work to which the Toto copyright holder would have a claim.

One issue that you might consider however is that you probably cannot distribute a .wav file of a raw clip of the Toto song because, by itself, it is not a critique or analysis. So when you post or DSP scripts, you'll have to leave out the .wav examples.

It might be clearer and more interesting to analyze an individual instrument anyway in which case you might just create a recording of fiddling on some keyboard. If you used a synth sequencer you could make a clip with a wide range of frequencies / note attack / intensity which might be good for other reasons in this particular application.
Thank you for that. I've been out the studio world for years, perhaps some of you could provide a recording of something like an electric guitar so I might include it. I don't have a studio anymore, I only have test equipment.

The so called "Fair Use" clause should apply yes

Although in the context of YouTube it should be noted that fair use is a legal doctrine which can be used in defense of copyright criminal or civil charges, but as a company YouTube has a different set of constraints, including the US "digital millenium copyright act" which influences how they treat copyright claims.
In short, YouTube basically doesn't care about fair use arguments, and if someone makes a copyright claim against one of your videos, either any ad revenue will go to the claimant, or the claimant may ask that your video be blocked, and YouTube will honor that request and it will be up to you to prove that the copyright claim is not valid if you want to get the video restored. Probably not an issue with such short clips, but something to be aware of. Many YouTube music education/instruction channels have complained about how difficult some labels are artists are with regard to any use of their music.

Although in the context of YouTube it should be noted that fair use is a legal doctrine which can be used in defense of copyright criminal or civil charges, but as a company YouTube has a different set of constraints, including the US "digital millenium copyright act" which influences how they treat copyright claims.
In short, YouTube basically doesn't care about fair use arguments, and if someone makes a copyright claim against one of your videos, either any ad revenue will go to the claimant, or the claimant may ask that your video be blocked, and YouTube will honor that request and it will be up to you to prove that the copyright claim is not valid if you want to get the video restored. Probably not an issue with such short clips, but something to be aware of. Many YouTube music education/instruction channels have complained about how difficult some labels are artists are with regard to any use of their music.
Well I am publishing the videos as "unlisted" so the only way people can find about them is through this post. Just for you, because you guys are special ;) :whistle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi everyone,

After being somehow "reprimanded" and suggested to make some scripts by Bo Deadly, I decided to write some Octave/Matlab scripts and offer them for free here in the GDIY community. I've noticed that people want to perform several audio measurements but there is no special software for it or they either need to download different one trick pony apps to do it (or spend thousands in an AP), they also either have to rely on their DAW tools which are not specifically tailored towards audio measurement or use REW , which is great, but it doesn't cover everything and it is not as powerful/customizable as what can be achieved with Octave/Matlab.

For those of you who don't know, Matlab is a mathematics software which allows to basically do anything ranging from biology to avionics, but it is very costly, Octave is essentially the freeware version of Matlab and in 99% of the cases the commands are the same. I have access to Matlab because I teach EE at a university but Octave can be downloaded freely.

This will be a trial and error endeavor and you will be—if you accept—my Guinea pigs in order to test the scripts. I encourage everyone who wants to add or improve some things to the scripts to do it, but rather than posting them in an new post, send them to me with their mods and if I find them to be beneficial, I'll include the mod in the next script version along with the name of the contributor, and I'll post it in the same place Also, if some of you decide to make your own scripts, we can include them as well.

I'll post everything in a Wordpress site I will create, and I will post direct links to the scripts in the second post of this thread.

At first, things might be shaky, specially when it comes to configuring the audio interface with Matlab/Octave, since everyone has different interfaces and so on, but I know that eventually we will find the easiest way, I'm guessing that the solution will require the "Asio4All" drivers.

I don't know if they will work on Mac (in case you were going to ask), the scripts will be tested in a PC, the rest is up to you or to whomever wants to pursue this route.

Does this seem like something you guys would find useful? I would certainly enjoy doing it as a side project. I just ask that if you use the scripts for something commercially or to publish a paper, or whatever, that you give me and those who contributed due credit.
Thanks for doing this!

This is the first script I will be uploading very soon, critiques accepted....
Well, for some reason, your post went totally under my radar, just found it today.
Abbey will hate me when I say "invert the phase" sorry Abbey....
I won't hate you for that, maybe reprimand you... :D
BTW, thanks for it.

Hi guys, I haven't been able to upload anything. Someone in my family passed away recently. I'll keep you posted as soon as I can.

Latest posts

Back