Ricardus

Re: Bo Hansen DI layout
« Reply #1140 on: November 01, 2020, 07:18:22 PM »
First of all, thanks to everybody for your comments!

I checked all the components with the multimeter and seemed OK, so after that I rechecked the board for any bad soldering and found a couple of spots that seemed strange, so I tried to resolder only to find that the pad from the PCB was gone :-\ 

Don't throw that board away, you can just run a jumper wire from that component leg to the next one and make it work.

I lost a trace on one of mine, too. Those boards seem a little delicate.
Audio mastering for hire..

Whoops

« Reply #1141 on: November 01, 2020, 08:52:01 PM »
I had my iron at around 300º (or that was my cheap soldering station marked...). Was that too hot and that was what caused the pads to go away?

That's really too hot for 98% of the work that's done in this forum.

For these type of boards and small components I use a 11w soldering iron.
I would not go over 30watts for any kind of this work, and thats even a bit too much sometimes.

Like Ricardus said, a broken or damaged solder pad or trace is easily fixed with wire or a jumper.

Ricardus

« Reply #1142 on: November 02, 2020, 01:39:21 AM »

Anyway, I had another PCB and tried to built it from scratch and kid you not, it works!! Was the best feeling of 2020!! ;D ;D

So post some pics of the finished DI!

« Reply #1143 on: November 02, 2020, 10:54:42 AM »
I was so bummed it wasn't working and then so happy it did that I didn't think about running a wire from the leg of the component!

I supposed that 300ºC was too high, but it was having trouble melting at (supposedly) 230ºC. Again, it's a cheap station. I hope to improve on that department soon enough.

Here are the pics! If you have a "Worst Soldered PCB of the Year" contest in the forum, let me know so I can submit this ;D ;D

« Reply #1144 on: November 02, 2020, 10:59:04 AM »
Wow! Only 1 pic per post?

Here it is mounted on the base of the box. I'm waiting for some stepped drill bits to ruin the front trying to make the holes  ;D

It's a big box for the OEP transformer, but I thought that I could fit two cards inside to make a stereo one

Ricardus

« Reply #1145 on: November 02, 2020, 11:48:21 AM »
Here are the pics! If you have a "Worst Soldered PCB of the Year" contest in the forum, let me know so I can submit this ;D ;D

Don't be so hard on yourself. There's at least one or two good joints on that board!   :D

Is that the "bad" board you mentioned first? Because I think I see the missing solder pad.

A bunch of those joints need to be reflowed and the leads trimmed shorter.

I've built DIs with all three transformers (and some with other transformers not supported on the board) and feel I can say you'll be very happy with the OEP.

« Reply #1146 on: November 02, 2020, 02:28:03 PM »
Don't be so hard on yourself. There's at least one or two good joints on that board!   :D

Hahahahaha! That's I start, I guess!

Yeah, I have to clip the leads and clean it a bit better. I thought about reflowing it but as it is working maybe it's better to leave it be :D

Good to know about the transformers! Truth to be told, it sounds pretty amazing on my bass with the OEP, so I might use that money on making a preamp if I ever get locked down at home with no possibility of going out...  ???

Thanks for your pointers, Ricardus!

Ricardus

« Reply #1147 on: December 15, 2020, 11:33:17 AM »
Did anyone run noise tests on the circuit with BC547's and BC557's in it instead of 550's and 560's?

I know it was mentioned a couple months ago.