Carnhill 10k:10k input transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slenderchap

I have asked Carnhill to make a couple of samples of a 10k:10k input transformer in the same style as the VTB9046 .... it is for the "EZ760" project that I have been trying to get finished for ages.......
[ http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32482.0 ]

If it was made into a standard stocked Carnhill product, would it be any use to the forum members .... and if so, for which particular projects ?

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Hi Colin,

I imagine it would be perfect for the pultec-y thingys, and maybe even the LA2a type wotsits. I am sure they will be very useful allrounders. I need something like that for a little project I have in mind, but I'll have to deal with my tax-bill first! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

well, due to the twin bobbin construction, it should have a pretty well balanced center tap point on each side (not common on 10k line input transformers in general).  that would probably make it a decent input/interstage transformer for any tube compressors like the altec 436, prr's varimu, federal am864, etc.

ed

I was looking at the webstore, it would probably be more convenient if the impedance ratios were listed with the transformer numbers, because I couldn't tell which one was 10k:10k without looking at this thread again...

jackies said:
I was looking at the webstore, it would probably be more convenient if the impedance ratios were listed with the transformer numbers, because I couldn't tell which one was 10k:10k without looking at this thread again...

The 10k:10k does not appear in the store because it doesn't yet exist..... [a pair of samples should be coming this week]

Stangeandbouncy has volunteered to try one on some gear..... I'll ask someone else local to me to try it on the D-AOC (assuming he is willing).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Another vote for it looking to be useful as a bridging input for assorted tube projects.

If it's practical at the price point to tap for 1:1.5 or 1:2 overall would be very useful as well.

Nice idea - Good Luck

Hi Guys,

yer local guinea pig 'ere . . . . Colin very kindly suggested that I might like to try one of these out. I have an LA4 that I have replaced the audio path entirely. Sidechain is the same, but I have a Gardners MU7530(10k:10k) on the input, with just one API2520 driving either a Sowter 4652, Profile 2503, or (Marinair?) Audix output transformer, depending on my mood! There is no adjustable gain, there being a set 6dB in the output tranny. Works for me. Everytime. I know it intimately, and use it daily for recording vocals. Yesterday, i lashed the carnhill 10k:10k in instead of the Gardners. I have no oscilloscope, relying only on my ears. It is loaded with 22k in my comp, I think. Wowsers. Instantly, it is very similar to the Gardners, yet oh so wonderfully subtly different. No sign of ringing in this app for sure. The top end is not brighter, just more focused. All yer SSes, CHes, TTes, FFes etc, are just SO focused and detailed. Two of us seperately said it sounds very "Neve-ey", which isn't too surprising! there is also that "colour" in the lower mids. The other Neve comment came unprompted from someone who knows Neve, but wouldn't know a transformer if it fell on his head. SInger immediately noticed a difference, and commented straight away. I am recording a fabulous female singer today whose voice( and sadly, only the voice!) I know intimately, and will post any further observations.

After only a few minutes, I emailed Colin asking if I could buy one! Needless to say, the Gardners will be taking a long retirement. No longer needed on voyage!

I have a few projects in mind that I can use this on . . . . especially since it fits easily in a 51x/500 module.

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Hi again,

just finished with the lovely Julie a singin'. Nothing more to add, other than more of the same! Sounds extraordinary. Same focus on the SSes, TTes, Ches, and FFes. She loved it, and also noticed it without prompting! Just goes to show . . . . .

A definite thumbs up from all in this camp! Nice work, Colin.

A real pleasure, and thank you very much!

ANdyP

I did a Shaeffer 1U faceplate for the ez760;
www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez760_prelim_faceplate_1U.jpg

....which uses the original style Sifam meter.... and 2 days later found out that Sifam are no longer making these meters... so I have got another meter and redone the faceplate and a full rack box... should be here in a couple of weeks...

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

cool. i like the LED bezels :)

how much did that panel end up costing? i've never used shaeffer... but i'd like to get into it - i'll have to install the software on a pc somewhere to check it out (i only have macs around at the moment...)

EDIT: - forgot to mention - tried in DAOC compressor.....
Tried this in combination with the un-gapped output tranny. Still need to sort my frequency roll-off problems - but WOW! - as a vocal compressor!!!!
Much tighter and focused sound compared to the Edcors - Both transformers contribute to the overall sound but i'd say more so with the output transformer.

Might just be ordering some of these as well!!

Again - nice one Colin ;D

I'll get some of these 10k:10k input transformers manufactured.... it seems to work well and be a bit of a "No-brainer".

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Hi Colin,
I was planning to do some 1073 line in boxes ala Madriaanse,
to put in front of my synthes, drumboxes or console master buss
if i understand correctly,
these trannies could be a simple way to do some line input boxes
with a carnhill flavor right ?
Regards,
Pacemaker

That would be correct.... but you will have no gain control and the load impedance presented to the output would depend on the input impedance of the equipment you were driving...

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

I have decided to add the 10k:10k input transformers to the growing list stocked items... it will have the part code CA-18-VTB9071 and will cost the same as the VTB9046.... they shoud be available in about a month..... although I will add them to the store before that for those who are "keen" to get their hands on them (I only ordered 20) ...

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Back