Solid State replacement for 6X4 tube?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan

Administrator
Admin
What could be used as a replacement for the 6X4? I'm looking to build a pultec-like simple eq, and any space and heat I could save from replacing the 6X4 with SS components would be convenient.

Thanks!

you could try UF4007s. If you are using the same transformer as the tube circuit you will need to increase a resistor or two to drop the voltage down a little.

Sweet. That was my suspicion since the tube manuals were saying it's just a diode tube, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks guys!

Depends on the secondary of the transformer you're using. If you're looking to replace a fullwave tube rectifier without changing the transformer, you use a couple of rectifier diodes (and add series resistance as necessary). To use a fullwave bridge, you need a transformer with a different secondary voltage. For example, suppose you have an old amp with a power transformer with a 350-0-350V secondary. If using a fullwave rectifier (two diodes with xfmr centertap grounded), your rectified and filtered DC output will be about 494V. If you used a fullwave bridge (four diodes, centertap not grounded) your output would be 989V!

So, your transformer secondary voltage (and the presence or absence of a centertap) determines your rectifier options.

Good point rafafredd

I was assuming the use of a CT transformer needing only two diodes.

Back