Faking it..... my new U47

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy,
If I'm ever up your way, you can compare it to mine. (mine is original u48, but with EF14 and KK47)

Or vice vera. Sounds like a great plan. I'd expect them to sound different, but would be cool to see where those differences lie.

I have to take exception to your earlier comment about guide vocals...

Good point - agree 100%. Well, maybe 99%! I do use some of the 'low stress' takes to try a couple of mics out and see which ones suits the singer. I think that session we were recording guitars, so I stuck up the STU-47 mic and got the singer to sing along - it worked well. So, I might say 'hey, let's try this great new £1000 tube mic with a Telefunken tube and a new M7 capsule - I think it might really suit your style'. I would not say 'hey, it's only a guide so let's use a piece of Sh*t mic!'.

I don't have a real U47 so my earlier comment was a hypothetical thing!

red light - brown pants!

LMFAO! I think I'm going to print that and put it up on the studio wall!

Stuart,

"red light - brown pants" . . . . . My other favourite in the same vein - in an intense live recording session, where everyone was edgy and far from relaxed, everyone was playing the track correctly, but it just didn't gel until, the bass player, who was a bit of a card, piped up with "everyone tense up, we're going for a take!". Everyone laughed, then played the perfect take. I often drop that one in, and it often works! Make 'em laugh . .  . .

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Nice.
Why not start making bodies too?
I'm doing that. Great fun making deep drawing dies for grilles, etc. Lots of plating and painting.
And machining.

Les

leswatts said:
Why not start making bodies too?
I'm doing that. Great fun

of course everyone knows there is the option of skylar's bodies too right? not to put a dampener on the fun of doing it yourself! more power to ya ;D  

i know skylar's aren't exactly clones (binder connector etc)... but worth knowing about for those who cant/wont DIY the mic body.

of course everyone knows there is the option of skylar's bodies too right?

I wasn't aware...I'm making a different mic type.

He seems to have done a great job!

Wonder where he is having them made? 797 or something?

Les

wow...at most definitely retail prices... I guess if you're looking for THE body to replace the original, you'll shell it out.

The Funken tab kits is pricey....but.....The Flea kits is bit cheaper at 499 Euros....& you get a capsule un skinned with it.....both are way cheaper than real U47 tho.....

Im inspired by Zebra & would like something similar to his mike.....Im wondering what the flea transformer is like? anyone know......

Zebra you used your MK7 transformer ....can you compare it to any other re make of a BV08....

Thankyou to everyone for info...

gary o said:
The Flea kits is bit cheaper at 499 Euros....& you get a capsule un skinned with it

They've come down a lot! I remember enquiring with Flea a couple of years ago and they wanted about 800 quid for a 47 body kit. No backplate either.

i hope i got the flea kit price right it seems you fill in the form to order the parts you want looks good.

Look carefully - the Flea DIY kit is not an exact U47 copy - there are differences inside. The 'replica' is more expensive.

gary o said:
can you compare it to any other re make of a BV08....

No. Sorry.

Thanks Stuart......Hmmmm still might be good enough for me......I wanna U47 ish sounding mic most importantly......look is secondary for however I like the look & the head would have to be near to original for the sound to be near so I read..... Or is the funken tab one worth the extra dosh..........I dont no what to do......

Stuart I wanted to ask you used the tran from your MK7....so did you put together the MK7 & didnt like it ? does your mic sound better ?....thanks

gary o said:
....so did you put together the MK7 & didnt like it ?

Actually I built one and liked it a lot, so I bought another tranny.

does your mic sound better ?....thanks

Not really - just a bit different really, but I used a different body and capsule (AKG vs Thiersch), so it's not a like-for-like situation. The capsule is very important of course.

Thanks Stuart so you still have yr MK7 with its tran & are you saying you you bought another MK7 BV08 ? is that an option ? how much are they....

Im trying to work out what to do with my money to buy U47 ish ingredience ....MK7 ....skylar if available ...Flea bag....Funken tab, EF14, BV8,dont get me started on capsules.....my brain is hurting anyway sorry, appologies  Im hijacking this thread.....maybe I could start a thread and post all links to DIY U47 there....

Big thanks for all info.....

I believe the windings are different for the MK7 transformers that Max included in the MK7 kit. Right? That is, compared to the BV8 and the current transformers he's winding for the MK47 kit.

Back