Is it normal for some new products to smell like burnt capacitors or burnt circuitry?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

I received a new outboard equalizer that smelt like strong burnt capacitors or circuit burnt somewhere.

The smell has gradually become a little faint but there is still a slight smell on the unit when you put your nose to it. I don't want to open the unit, otherwise it will void the warranty.

The manufacturer has informed me that this can be natural even though it is new, as sometimes, glues or components coating begin to evaporate and emit these sort of fumes, even for long periods.

The outboard seems to work fine, but I am wondering whether there could be an underlying issue.

I don't recall receiving brand new units that smelt like this before, unless it was a repaired unit where a capacitor has blown and they repaired it.

Do you think the manufacturer is covering up selling a repaired unit as brand new or maybe a brand new unit that failed QA and was fixed before being sent out?

Thank you.

I don't know of any manufacture that would sell a repaired unit as stock. A repaired unit would be a B-stock unit. Did you buy a b-stock unit?
FWIW I have had units that have had strange odors before like you described. It has happened to me in the past.

I don't know of any manufacture that would sell a repaired unit as stock. A repaired unit would be a B-stock unit. Did you buy a b-stock unit?
FWIW I have had units that have had strange odors before like you described. It has happened to me in the past.
OK, thanks pucho812. No it is brand new replacement. I was surprised as it was very strong and I thought, this can't be good.

I think I may have smelled something similar associated with a new product, but I don't even remember what it was. There was nothing wrong with it.

JR

Thanks everyone. This was made in China, though it is a well known in the semi upper European brand :(
It seems to run fine, but my OCD tells me to worry about it.

I do recall a strong smell once on a new set of headphone, but that was due to the glue from memory foam parts and it did not smell like burn circuit board though but more like toxic glue.

Latest posts

Back