Help to identify UREI 1176LN

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini

Don't know if this the right place..feel free to move to the right place for moderator.

Anyway I visit old studio last night and I found bunch of stuff that has been neglected for a while

and I found this piece

It's revision H if looking at front panel, but the serial number is confusing..

here please take a look

IMG00049-20100630-1957.jpg

IMG00051-20100630-2020.jpg

That doesn't look like my rev H's.    Mine have the red off button, but the two panel sections (one round i/o controls, other round meter & attack /release) are slightly darker grey in colour.  DOn't know if that means yours isn't an H but ............

serial number is quite high and manufacturing date would make that something like a rev T

G was first diff IC input and IC regulator - of course is IC input stage is BEFORE the input level control for easy clipping

H was first with IEC power inlet and they want to a backlit meter instead of bulbs over top

serial numbers were in mid 7000's at that point

I - a new output transformer and meter driver changed

after that the rev's progressed - very minor changes to version T which was right about when they stopped making them

1176 Revision History from Mix Magazine

The extremely rare Rev A (first produced on June 20, 1967) with serial numbers 101-125 is the original 1176 design and features a silver brushed-aluminum face and blue stripe. It has a 600-ohm input transformer made by Peerless that was later replaced with a UTC unit. The signal preamp after the gain reduction FET uses a FET followed by a bipolar transistor amplifier circuit and the Output level control. The Output level control feeds essentially the same circuit again, but follows it with a 2N3053 transistor line amp operating in Class A. The original UA-5002 output transformer has a split secondary, a tertiary winding for negative feedback and a separate emitter winding. This transformer was revised in following units to the improved UA-5002A and is the same transformer that is used in the 1176LN reissue.

Rev AB (November 20, 1967, serial numbers 125-216) features several changed resistor values in the signal preamp stages, which improve stability as well as noise. Also added are bypass capacitors around the resistor feeding the gain-reduction FET.

Rev B (November 1967 to January 1970, serial numbers 217-1078) includes an all bipolar design to replace the FET-based circuit in the signal preamp section. A tap off the emitter of the first transistor of this stage provides feedback back to the FET gain reduction stage.

Rev C (January 9, 1970, serial numbers 1079-1238) introduces the first of the black-face models and the LN suffix, which stands for low noise. An additional circuit designed by Brad Plunkett (and epoxy-encapsulated to keep it secret, pending a patent filing) reduces the drain-to-source voltage on the gain-reduction FET to keep it within its linear range designation. The LN circuit epoxied module and the Q-bias pot are soldered and mounted directly onto a Rev B circuit board.

Rev D (into 1973, serial numbers 1239-2331) has no circuit changes but features a redesigned main printed circuit board incorporating the LN circuitry and Q-bias pot.

Rev E (up to March 15, 1973, serial numbers 2332-2611) adds a power transformer that can be switched between 110V and 220V mains operation.

Rev F (March 15, 1973, onward, serial numbers 2611-7052) changes the output amplifier from the original Class-A design to a push-pull configuration (based on the 1109 preamp) that provides more output drive. Also, the metering circuit uses an op amp that simplifies meter calibration and final testing.

Rev G (production dates unknown, serial numbers 7053-7651) replaces the input transformer with a differential amplifier. (Op amps lowered manufacturing costs and were very popular solutions for audio manufacturers at the time.)

Rev H (production dates unknown, serial numbers 7652 and above) changes the front panel to silver.

If the serial is #10919 it should be late a rev H.
Hope it helps.

Neeno said:
1176 Revision History from Mix Magazine...

If the serial is #10919 it should be late a rev H.
Hope it helps.

actually there were many versions after H - going up to rev T...  ostensibly from H going forward the changes were small but still with each change they advanced the rev a letter every time they implemented an E.C.O. (Engineering Change Order)

for all intents and purposes it's an H and has all the flaws of an H but technically, based on the serial number and the date code it's likely a T and one of the last of the UREi 1176LN's made...  in December 1988 you'd be at rev T and 10919 would be the highest serial number I've seen - not sure what the last serial number was but this is close to it

Thanks Everyone..

so john, can you share more info regarding T version as you mentioned? does it have distinct feature compare to H or other version?

I haven't fire it up..and hope fully everything still working. The studio is private owned and has been close for almost 5-7years

Regards
Imam

very small changes from H - different output transformer but that materially does not matter. 

What you have is an 1176 without the passive front end of the earlier A-F versions.  From G onwards the first thing the signal hit going in is an IC opamp set up as a balanced bridging input.  Following that is the input level control and then the FET.  I the A-F versions the first thing the signal hit was a passive 600ohm attenuator and then a transformer and then the FET.

Operationally an advantage to the later units is it does not present a 600 ohm load to whatever is feeding it.  The older units were completely passive right up to the FET gain loss device and since the input control is first you can't really overload it.  You can feed +30's into an 1176 A-F and it will stay linear unless you WANT to overload it while with G and beyond you'll clip the crap out of the input amplifier and you won't be able to do anything at the 1776 to deal with it...  and this is important. 

Say you have an API or other one knob pre and you have established a sound by pushing it pretty hard and now you want to follow this with a limiter.  You'll have to turn down the pre and loose the "api pressed hard" sound in order to stay under clipping in the later 1176's while in the earlier ones you don't... and the loading is different - or - you can insert a pad after the pre and before your IC front end

So in 1176 version G the IC front end came in and they went to an IC voltage regulator... I think the zener is better but in the general scheme of things I would not bother taking that back - I'd would certainly want to change out the front end ahead of the FET to match the older passive front end...  and you can change out the front end it's not hard - or it shouldn't be for someone on in DIY to do.  I've done this on G and later 1176's and on 1178's and you can apparently get the parts from hairball, or maybe Purple - you need the attenuator and transformer and a schematic - you'll need a couple R's as I recall.

In 1176 version F the output stage went to class A/B and the output transformer got simpler - personally I like the E - which is the jumping off point for the Purple MC units

happy fifth - back to work tomorrow!

Back