Motown Direct Amplifier-inspired Preamp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

ruffrecords

GDIY Supporter
The 12AD7 is basically a low microphonics 12AX7 so that will be fine. The 6AR5 looks like a regular audio output pentode so it should be fine for the output stage. You may need to adjust some resistor values to get it biased right.

Edit: 12AD7 seems to be quite rare. Only one pair for sale on eBay that I could find and the price was over £70 per tube.

Cheers

Ian

TheGedi

Ian, I have used these from CPC in the past for an AML EZ1073 and an Oakley filter, case is 1.2mm steel and the front panel is 3mm aluminium... despite the rear panel being steel I have put XLRs, jacks and an IEC/switch in them and don't remember it being too much hassle.

CPC doesn't have any good technical documentation on them for some reason, but look at Penn Elcom's site here at the Q&As and they state that if you send them the necessary design, they will custom cut the rear panel for you, not sure on cost though. For some reason it's cheaper to buy them from CPC than PE directly but apprently they price match so, maybe worth enquiring :unsure:

Only things I didn't like on these was: the venting in the top panel—not for any real reason other than aesthetic preference, but if you were doing anything with valves you might want them to breathe anyway! And minimum 220mm depth, they felt a bit oversized (for my needs at least) but if you like a lot of space then again, not really a concern.

Cheers
Another supplier in EU - try these guys - https://www.adamhall.com/shop/nr-en/19-inch-rack-accessories/19-inch-rack-housings/