Eckmiller Full Range EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/ plus a noise generator is a very quick solution within my DAW (so I can hear and see),
http://audio.rightmark.org/index_new.shtml is a more sophisticated standalone solution (probably pc only?)

I also use my RME totalyzer software, but that only works with RME cards.

All of these are free  ;D

Michael

I tried to get hold os some connectors, but it seems exhaustive and expensive. One possibility might be to unscrew the tuchel, to insert a 10 mm M3 standoff, to rescrew the Tuchel onto these and then to solder directly onto the back of the Tuchel, parallel to the existing leads. This would be quick and safe and has the option to undo it completely without visible damage.

Michael

Made some new discoveries:

I heard from someone it's necessary to have a balanced make-up gain after a PF 5/8 H.
So I tried a V374a.
And there it is...the missing 6dB :)
When I pull up the PF 5/8 H's dB fader it rocks :D
And ....
.... the output totally goes to 0 dB when I pull down the dB fader on the PF 5/8 H.

This is a very nice feature.
The PF 5/8 H seems to act as a bandpass filter.
That tells me I have to put it in parallel to the W86a.
And that also tells me that at least two make-up gain units are needed.

Hopefully I'm "on the right track". (a Dutch expression..is it correct English too?)

I have w86 x2 and PF5/8 x2

and im gonna paralel em with germanium wsw line amp 811450B!!!!

I let you know how that sounds!!

I've tried paralleling a W86a and the PF5/8H by linking pins 3 and 4 like I suggested and it doesn't do what I was hoping for. Unfortunately I don't have a full schematic, only the 'principle drawings' (dunno the correct english word) which I sent to the gmail account. Maybe some load resistor needs to be removed in the PF5/8H because it is already there in the W86a? I'm not really good at math, but luckily nothing can be hurt by modifying a passive EQ, so I'll give it a try when I find the time.

Michael

I'm having delay in this project because I can't find any more V374a's.

I'm considering to let the V374a's go an use other line amps.
we'll see what comes in mind when watching adverts..

Roginator:
I'm also going to put my W86a and PF5/8h in parallel I think.
How are you going to mix both outputs together afterwards?

I'm toying with the idea of using a THAT micpre as cheap makeup. So far V76m did sound a lot better than Neve 1073s as makeup, that's all I tried until now. Modding V74s into V72a would be a very promising option too.

Michael

New idea:

If the W86a and the PF5/8h are put in parallel; maybe it's possible to just tie both outputs together.
Both modules have the same output impedance (200ohm; total impedance will be 100ohm which is high enough for V374a)
And both units process the same audio data. So because of that it probably won't be any problem to connect them.

This means that only one make-up gain stage is anough for both modules.

If phase or crosstalk problems appear, a small passive resistor network probably will be a proper solution.
Still just one make-up gain stage (more than 34dB of gain though) is necessary.

Is this a good idea?

After quite a long time of hesitating but also searching ebay I finally made another step forwards.
I decided to go for V972's.
Received them yesterday so testing will happen tonight:)
Hopefully they suffice.

The V972 preamps work fine :)
I decided to configure the Eckmiller modules as a 6 channel EQ with link options.
This way de EQ's can be used on 6 different channels during tracking or mixdown (2 x hi&lo cut, 2 x presence and 2 x hi&lo shelves).
But when linked it can be converted to a 4 or 2 channel unit.
Of coarse this can be done on a patchbay too, but why not build in 4 switches?
The link switches will be on the back of the unit.

On the front every channel will get a bypass button. And I'll also make an overall bypass button in the middle.
Bypass will be relay switched.

These are de front and backpanel designs so far:

Attachments

• Eckmiller-sept-2010.gif
    Eckmiller-sept-2010.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 33
Back