help pro tools mix plus rig gurus.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

I've been importing some audio files from some gigs I've been recording recently, & am experiencing some weirdness.  The tracks are imported from my Tascam MX2424.

Problem is when I play some of the sessions I am getting white noise & meters peaking out on all tracks apart from  1 track which I'm getting nothing.

With other sessions at the beginning of the recording I get white noise & meters peaking on 1 track & the rest are ok.  then if I scroll further through the track all tracks are giving me white noise & peaking.

If I play sessions I recorded on the mix plus rig they are perfectly normal.

Any ideas ?

How are you importing?  mx-view or dump in real time? if it is a real time dump i.e. playing mx2424 while recording 24 tracks into pro tools it could be a word clock issue... check the word clock connections and or digital connections if you are using them. Make sure the mx2424 clock is set up in the menus to the right setting.

not sure on mx view as I never could make that work correctly but then again I never bothered.

Rob Flinn said:
I used MXview, which takes forever which makes it even more irritating that it doesn't seem to be working !

I could never get mx view to work as tascam said it would so I never bothered. Maybe i needed to play with it more? anyway we have a few 2424's here.  You could try doing a real time transfer? If mx view is taking forever, might as well just do a real time transfer, digital if possible... or shoot even do it analog and see how that changes sonics but should fix your issue especially if it sounds proper on the 2424 before you transfer.

It's sad really how tascam always said you could just pop the scsi drive into your mac and instant working with pro tools and it never worked...

Pucho, it's strange that you never got MXview working properly.  I have it working under windows XP on a laptop that I use when I record gigs, & also under OS9 on my G4.  I never had any issues with it, & it makes the tascam much easier to use. 
I would have done a realtime digital transfer if I had an ADAT bridge, but I'm seriously thinking of doing a real time analog transfer at the moment because downloading 60 500Mb files over ethernet is painfully slow.

I was hoping to just pull the scsi drive & use my Glyph rack to transfer the files, but as luck would have it I happened to use a rogue hard drive which is the only one I haven't reformatted to HFS+ & the mac doesn't see it when I plug it in.

Back