Sharing something I produced at my extremely DIY studio for my brother's synth/Rhodes/keybass/guitar/drums trio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthTone

I have gotten a lot out of this forum over the years. Thought I'd share something I have been working on for a while of my brother's trio. He's a fantastic jazz pianist but he has a rockin Fender Rhodes/keybass/synth based trio with guitar and drums that we recorded an EP for not too long ago. Here is one of the videos from the session. I am very proud of this.

As far as the DIY-ness involved, virtually all of the acoustic paneling in this room (30 panels!) was done by us, and most of the front end. Let's see...

8 channels of Neve 1073 AML clones are being used
My entire 500 series system is the CAPI 500 VPR rack and floorbox PSU system which I built
Some of the mics involved were DIY projects...
A lot of the XLR's I built

And the tracking, mixing, and mastering was all DIY.

Some of my favorite pieces I used on this session if anyone's curious were the Schoeps CMC6 MK4's into the CAPI WH 312's for overheads, and Gyraf audio (thank you Jakob!) G22 for mastering. And Serpent SB4001 for drums compression. Really smashed the heck out of them here, HPF engaged around 90hz, "grind" mode on, and dialed back the blend knob to taste for the drums bus. Looooove that compressor. Can't do that exact trick with the original! Cheers to Serpent.

Lately I have been building a lot more mics and so next time I'll be using even more DIY stuff. Already did a tracking session recently with one of my favorite drummers Josh Dion from John Scofield's band & Paris Monster among other groups, and used 2x 47FET DIY builds on the kick and the center kit positions, respectively.

Anyway, here's the video! Hope you enjoy.

Matt

Latest posts

Back