SOLVED: Help with a dead RNC 1773

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KasperNyhus

Hi all

Ok so I've got a dead 1773. Or it passes sound when it's bypassed (because of the true relay bypass I guess)
The LED meter shows compression so I guess that it's in the gain section there is trouble... Or?
It's unfortunately pretty digital but is there any chance that it could be some of the analog parts? The TL074's maybe?

Btw I have two units so I'm sure that it's not my wirering or powersupply that course this problem...

Have anybody any experience with troubleshooting the RNC?

Cheers!,
Kasper Nyhus

okgb said:
First i've heard  , you did try contracting them directly right ?

I'm not completely sure what you mean... but with perfectly identical powersupply, settings, wirering and signal one unit is compressing and one is not...

... stumbled upon this thread at gearslutz: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/392626-rnc-works-bypassed-but-not-troubleshooting-help.html

I've send an email to FMR asking them these same questions...

I have one , no problems but not used continuously ,
hope they don't have an expirery date
or consider it disposable because of the price or fixed digital component
let us know what happens , best wishes on that  [ & the Xmas season ]

I will.. :)

And for the price i'm not going to spend hours fixing it.. But if someone knows about this specific issue and it takes a 5$ component to fix it, it would be great!

Actually I had just sold both my units when I found this problem... :( too bad...

a common failure is the TL074 located around the middle of the pcb towards the front panel. Check for any of the output pins ( 1,7,8,14) that have gone to rail, they should all be around 0V

squib said:
a common failure is the TL074 located around the middle of the pcb towards the front panel. Check for any of the output pins ( 1,7,8,14) that have gone to rail, they should all be around 0V

Thanks squib I'll check that!

There are two TL074's located at the front... Is it likely that both are broken? Or does it just take ond bad component to stop the audio stream?

Thanks for the interest

Great news...!

After talking to Mark McQuilken from FMR I replaced the TL074 marked U6, and now everything is working!  ;D

Back