Panasonic electret capsule info ...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentlevoice1

Hi  :D

I've heard that here in this forum some people have made very good microphones from Panasonic electret capsules. I'd be very interested in more information about:

- which models are considered the best capsules in terms of sound quality, but also those that may span from close to DC and as high up as possible in frequency,
- How to modify the capsules so that they sound their best,
- Suggestions on how to design a power supply and audio amplifier for the capsule (enabling an output going down to preferably 1 - 2 Hz),
- Where to source the Panasonic capsules (also, I'd be very interested in buying spare ones if one has some for sale. I'll be needing ~4 capsules).
- other information relevant to building with these microphones

Hope you can help with this - suggestions are appreciated  :D

Best regards,

Jesper

P.S.: If there are other electret microphones with a better soundquality I'd be very interested in hearing about this. Particularly microphones with a better signal-to-noise ratio which is important to my application.

I also just found Linkwitz' webpage on modifying the panasonic electret microphone.

Hi Jakob,

Thanks for replying. My source of inspiration is Earthworks microphones and although I am not looking to copy them I'm interested in microphones that go up hign & low in frequency and have low noise. Do you think larger size electrets will be a better solution e.g.  like the Transound versions?

See e.g.: http://www.jlielectronics.com/transsound/electrets/tsb-120a.htm

Regards,

Jesper

There's a direct relationship between diaphragm size, HF extension and intrinsic noise. You can't get 40kHz response with a large diaphragm. You can't get 12dB self noise with a 1/4" diaphragm.
A 4x4 array of 1/4" would get you almost there.
LF response of omni electret capsules depends on the built-in electrical HPF constuted by the capsule's capacitance and the gate resistor.
Cardioids are inherently acoustically high-passed.

Hi Abbey Road,

& thanks for outlining these parameters. I know that this is so, however, have not heard very good implementations of electret mic microphones (and various capsules) so I have no reference as to how they (with very good electronics) compare to high end capacitor microphones (as different as they may be). I'm looking for an outstanding capsule - can electrets be that?

If you or others here have experience with this I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Greetings,

Jesper

Hi Sredna,

& thanks for the tip ...

I find that I know now what I need to know so unless others would like to continue the thread, I will leave it now.

Greetings,

Jesper

I have had some good luck with the attached circuit for electret capsules.  I have used directional panasonic capsules as front of stage boundary mics, and I have used the same circuit with Countryman ISOMax mics (I found a cheap one on ebay for wireless use, and build one of these to make it wired. It is small, fits in a small box or even a tube if you lay the electrolytic caps down

Basically it takes a 3 wire capsule like you get from a countryman isomax (which I think is just what Linkwitz does to the panasonic capsules) and you use it as a phase splitter for a Schoeps style circuit. Works pretty nice.

Several people in other threads have asked how to bias one of these mic's, without buying a $70 mic preamp head... well this works.

NEBiSHv201board.jpg

NEBiSHv201.jpg

Latest posts

Back