Subbing NPN output transistors for PNP?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool! I'm getting ready to head to the bench now.

Yes I got the output transistors worked out. I found some NPN/PNP pairs that will work. But I feel confident now in-case I ever want to sub PNP pairs  8)
Thanks and Cheers,

Abe

Abe, Self's book shows all the fully complementary as well as the quasi complementary variants and their PROS & CONS.  My decades of twiddling leads me to favour his EFII variant.  see eg his fig 21 & 22 at http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/dipa/dipa.htm#5  Get the book.

Us old fogeys have long twiddled in the dark as regards HF stability which is how we can recognise newbie twiddling. There have been very few pukka prophets on this subject.  Great Guru Baxandall was an early one whose pontificating allowed 'some' design as opposed to suck it & smoke.  But Prof. Edward Cherry was the true Messiah.

All his epistles are worthy of study.  "Feedback, Sensitivity and Stability of Power Amplifiers" JAES, may82 is the important one.  Holy Scripture rewards repeated study but one important & very useful nugget is a small emitter resistor in the VAS; TR4 in the Avalon circuit.  Application needs modifying with context but is exactly applicable to Self's circuits.

But even the Messiah is unrecognised in his own land.  http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/baxandall/baxandall.htm shows how even GG Baxandall stuggled to see the light in his last days.

> claim that common collector and common emitter output stages could both be stabilized just as easily (not in my experience).

Which do you prefer John, and what has been your experience?

Abe, if distortion comes and goes, I'll put big money you have "oscillation on certain loads, levels depending on thermal & other history .."

ricardo said:
> claim that common collector and common emitter output stages could both be stabilized just as easily (not in my experience).

Which do you prefer John, and what has been your experience?

I am not a power amp guy  (think jack of many trades, master of none), but I have dabbled a little.

In my experience common collector power stages seem easier. With common emitter stages any voltage on the power supply rails looks like an input to that stages transfer function, so inductance in rails can lead to HF instability and even ripple crosstalk seems more problematic. That said common emitter stages are very attractive to amp designers because they are easier to drive rail to rail without boot strapping or higher voltage driver power supplies.  I've done some crude one-off common emitter designs. One a hifi I built for my sister back in the 60's where I used an opamp's power supply pins to drive a pair of common emitter power devices up at higher voltage rails. This was modest power (<50W)  and probably pretty low fidelity (since I had to compensate it heavily to not sing), but it made enough sound to keep my little sister happy for years when she was a poor college student.  

Prior to working at Peavey the only production amp I did was a simple 2x35W job right out of a National app note using one of their IC front ends. Most of the conventional amp stages I was involved with at Peavey were cut and paste from their extensive library of standard amp designs... There was a whole series from 5W (IC) up to 300W used in powered mixers, install amps, guitar amps, whatever, with little reward for reinventing the wheel. But being me I was inclined to wonder what if? The oddest amp I designed that made it into production (AMR PMA70+) was really different. It started out as a simple 2x35W amp using a single pair of to-3 outputs each. Then I added cap doublers to each PS rail, so my cute little 35W amp, could put out 2x the voltage and 4x the continuous power transiently.  I rated it at 100W sine wave burst power for 20 mSec, 60W sine wave power for something like 15 seconds, and 35W continuous all night long. The instantaneous transients were close to 4x the 35W but voltage decayed quickly. It turns out the semi-continuous sine wave power was mainly limited by how fast I recharged the cap boost circuit. If I didn't current limit the recharge circuit it made full power, and full heat, and drew full current, so it didn't really save anything. I used some PTC fuses to current/thermal limit the boost charging circuitry, so it timed out after 15 seconds of hard sinewave, but it was all but impossible to thermal with music unless very hard clipped. Playing dynamic music it was as loud as a 100+ watt amp, but with the size and weight of a modest 35W amp.

I looked at scaling this up to higher power points but the complexity of multiple high current boost circuits vs. economics of only saving marginally on PS iron and heat sink didn't pay off. You can look at this as kind of a Rube Goldberg class G/H multi rail amp, but the conventional G/H was simpler/cheaper/easier to make.  If i were to revisit this today, perhaps modern mosfet switching devices might simplify the boost circuits (I used bipolar devices back then).  It was hard to get truly hifi spec's because the PS rails being modulated by the audio on peaks talked into the miller capacitance of the output devices, so there was trade off, between slowing down the edge rates of the PS modulations for low distortion, vs making them faster for higher efficiency. It sounded far better than a 35W amp clipping, but not better than a standard 150W amp, but it was different.  Note: The distortion performance for the early class G/H amps was pretty rough too... Modern stuff is so much better.

JR

> I have checked out the company's web page. http://avondaleaudio.com/diy-audio/power-amplifier-module-ncc200/

Hah! What did I say?

"it was old in 1981"

What do they say?

"the 1970s RCA circuit has formed the basis for Naim Audio's NAP power amplifier series"

The 1970s RCA (and others) design was THE way to go for a good popular-price product. Fisher, Peavey, everybody used it as verbatim as available parts allowed. (i.e. if you lunched with the Motorola rep, you had Moto power devices.)

Except NAIM has modified it *almost* beyond recognition. Two current sources (extravagant!), no bootstrap. This seems to be a 40-year journey for some keen tinkerer.

The 1970 design has few stages. You need more for stunning point-oh-oh-oh performance numbers. However simplicity can be a virtue to the ear.

> asking them to come to explain the design

Generally it has been modded by-ear. The offset input pair skews the distortion toward sweet and may indeed sound better than the same very-simple amp set up "ideally".

> why it is not as dodgy as

They have apparently sold large numbers of this thing. It mustn't be too "dodgy".

Criticizing it on design grounds is like criticizing someone else's wall-paper choice. Taste, not science.

Yes, Doug Self. We each have a sore spot where we disagree with Self, but I suspect he's thought it through better. READ SELF!!

> I get -24.3mV ... and -1.658V

Ah, I was forgetting the intentional offset. While 2V won't hurt the 80W woofer, it's more than I'd like to find. Ultra-soft air-suspended woofers might shift out of the mag-gap sweet-spot.

> sounding like crap until it warmed up.

I made an amp like that, when I didn't quite understand, and time was tight. My solution was to play one side of Seeger first thing in the morning REAL LOUD, and then it would whisper flawlessly all day. I never did get it back to the bench to suss it out. (Heatsinking was an odd collection of surplus brackets, with maybe more mass than area.)

PRR said:
_

> sounding like crap until it warmed up.

I made an amp like that, when I didn't quite understand, and time was tight. My solution was to play one side of Seeger first thing in the morning REAL LOUD, and then it would whisper flawlessly all day. I never did get it back to the bench to suss it out. (Heatsinking was an odd collection of surplus brackets, with maybe more mass than area.)

Yup, given a choice between sounding bad cold, or blowing up when hot, most chose to tolerate the cold behavior.

JR

Latest posts

Back