Leslie 30A rebuilding

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubxf

Hello,
i'm rebuilding an old Leslie amp and i was wondering if it was ok to use Wima caps instead of the Orange drops. Also there is so much
space in the chassis that i was thinking PIO caps ? Any help or suggestions appreciated
Thanks
francois

Thank you, yes i figured that if the value and ratings are right the amp will work. But my question was more for sonics and also because it's a lot easier to source Wimas than Orange drops.

ubxf said:
Thank you, yes i figured that if the value and ratings are right the amp will work. But my question was more for sonics and also because it's a lot easier to source Wimas than Orange drops.

Really?  I would've guessed the opposite.  All the guitar part outlets stock the spragues as well as the big vendors - mouser digi-key and newark.

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=1001533+5627190+5627187+5627195+5627201+5627208+193833+2798&No=0&locale=en_US&appliedparametrics=true&getResults=true&divisionLocale=en_US&catalogId=&prevNValues=1001533+5627190+5627187+5627195+5627201+5627208+193833&filtersHidden=false&appliedHidden=false&originalQueryURL=%2Fjsp%2Fsearch%2Fbrowse.jsp%3FN%3D1001533%26No%3D0%26getResults%3Dtrue%26appliedparametrics%3Dtrue%26locale%3Den_US%26divisionLocale%3Den_US%26catalogId%3D%26prevNValues%3D1001533

I'm jumping into a can of worms here - hi-fi amps and studio amps may be more revealing of the quality of coupling caps but for guitar amps I've found it to not seem to matter a great deal.  Some of my best sounding amps tone wise still have ceramic disc coupling caps.  I would guess the leslie amp is somewhere between hi-fi and guitar amp.

I think the bigger point here might be that so much of a tube amps sound is set by the type of circuit (SE vs PP), type of output tube(s), and speaker that the smaller components often don't seem to contribute as much to the greater sonic signature as the former.

The russian PIO are a good bargain.  IMHO the high quality and fine points of the WIMA caps may be lost on this beast.

These MPCs are good caps for a decent price with the voltage rating you'll likely need:

http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/Electrolytic_capacitors_capacitorlist.html

Thank you, it makes sense i'll put in whatever i have on hand .

These MPCs are good caps for a decent price with the voltage rating you'll likely need:

http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/Electrolytic_capacitors_capacitorlist.html

Thanks for the link nice place

Illinois capacitor, great for guitar and leslie amp alike. fwiw your going into more guitar amo territory which much like hi-fi territory has many opinions and such on capacitors. You may try ther zoso caps., I have been told they are the best sounding hands down. FOr the price tag they should be. They are not uber expensive but not dirt cheap either. I for one like the orange drops in an amp. but that's me.

I usually use IC caps for the eletrolytics in amps and orange drops for the others.

Thanks Pucho, do you buy them here in LA or do you mail order. I'm trying to source locally but it's harder these days

Back