Die cast enclosures

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arno

Does anyone know a source for die cast enclosures with right angle sides?
Instead of the usual trapezoid shape, I'd like to find one with perpendicular sides, like mxr and old DOD cases.

I prefer to design pcb's with all connectors and switches on board but it's impossible to fit the jacks in the slightly sloped hammond cases.
I know hammond and bud have heavy duty series that are often straight but they're very bulky, ie there's not much room left for connectors due to the sturdy construction.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just realized there's a proper subforum for this type of questions.
Sorry mods, please move this thread if appropriate.

It seems that the old DOD and MXR cases are straight.
So it must be possible, maybe stability is an issue. I read mxr cases are custom made from their original mould so no luck there...

Too bad there are no datsheets on smallbears site.
It's tough to judge them from a photo.
Maybe I should drop them a note.

Back a zillion years ago at my old day job i was tasked with designing some accessory products to put into those standard die cast boxes... I started out putting all the jacks and controls on a flat piece of metal that screwed in place of the bottom cover.  Later I designed a U shaped aluminum extrusion so I could punch some flat sheet metal with two easy 90' bends to finish a nice clamshell package using the extrusion for bottom and two other sides..

I was never much of a fan for those die cast boxes. Reasonably cheap, but such a pain to work with, the cost advantage faded. Perhaps for DIY the labor is not an issue, in the factory it was.

JR

Go to the hammond website , they are easy to drill ,
look for the 1590 B or BB sizes , gtr websites will have more info
possibly where the best deals are , many chinese knock offs these days

Latest posts

Back