Recording Unbalanced signal through Balanced Mic pre??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Abbey, I should have given more info.

Got it straight into line. In terms of impedance mismatch loss there was not anything significant sonically.

Generally I record acoustic through a mic. Besides, I do not have a pick-up on my Dobro or the lap resonators. I used it on my brother's Washburn acoustic with a passive undersaddle with good results.  I also used it on my active Washburn (now sold) and it gave a good result too. But both were also mixed with a mic to beef them up.

On electric it worked absolutely superb on clean rhytm. Totally crystal clear. I do not use much effect but I remember trying it on Adrenalin and it was good. Again all into line in.

sahib said:
Sorry Abbey, I should have given more info.

Got it straight into line. In terms of impedance mismatch loss there was not anything significant sonically.

Generally I record acoustic through a mic. Besides, I do not have a pick-up on my Dobro or the lap resonators. I used it on my brother's Washburn acoustic with a passive undersaddle with good results.  I also used it on my active Washburn (now sold) and it gave a good result too. But both were also mixed with a mic to beef them up.
Indeed, I would not care about using a DI when I have a mic available. I don't think it brings any "value" to the resulting sound. I would not say the same in a live configuration.
Please understand I'm not trying to diss you. Each one his own. I just say it doesn't do for me...
On electric it worked absolutely superb on clean rhytm. Totally crystal clear.
Clean electric rh gt does not appeal at all to me. Rh gt for me is either acoustic (multi-layered) or amped electric (which I don't favour much). Even on hard-rock I would have a couple of ac gt tracks (if I'm in the producer's chair, that is).
I do not use much effect but I remember trying it on Adrenalin and it was good.
What Adrenalin? There are about 10 different softwares called Adrenalin, DAW, DJ, sound banks, filters...).
Again all into line in.
Then how did you get the level right. Losing 20dB in the xfmr, from a typical -20dBu pick-up output, you must have quite sensitive line ins...?

Latest posts

Back