Recommended DIY 500 series compressor for tracking?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jensenmann said:
JLM Audio LA500 or Peter Pourpose´s LA3A clone

I would choose a different compressor depending on what I was tracking and the type of sound I was going for.

With that said, your best bet is a 1176 variant, that should cover at least 50%-60%, an optical comp would round out another 20%-30%, then perhaps a bridge diode comp, vari-mu, or PWM comp.

Regards,
Mark

IJR 51X-F76 is an 1176 clone in 51x/500 series format.    You can't get kits for them anymore, but the SB4001 from ruckus is also a siiiiick compressor for tracking with.

Hi,
Have done some detailed checks on using a compressor for tracking.
Too many variables,it heavily depends on what you want to track.
But for a say a good "allround tool"- I agree with Jens,Joe's LA500 is really cool.
I guess having one in combination with a 1176 will cover most of all needs.

Cheers,

Udo.

Yeah, but you see how few options you have with the unit?  3 attack/release times, 3 ratios..  if you're going for an 1176, i recommend Igor's kit, as it only cost about $500 per channel for all the parts.

mulletchuck said:
Yeah, but you see how few options you have with the unit?  3 attack/release times, 3 ratios..  if you're going for an 1176, i recommend Igor's kit, as it only cost about $500 per channel for all the parts.
Yes,but as far as I understood he doesn't sell them as kits anymore,only the pcbs and the hardware?
Anyway,isn't another guy around here in the forum working on a 1176 in 500 format too?
Don't know the status quo....

Udo.

mulletchuck said:

Doesn't seem like a big limitation.

For tracking I very rarely move the attack knob and occasionally, the release knob and rarely move from 4:1.

If you talk to Jeff Lynne, he never moves the knobs.

Regards,
Mark

Latest posts

Back