Soundtracs MR - I'm Lovin' It

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Soul Rebel

;)

I've just bought David Gray's old Soundtracs MR console. With a lotta help from Tim at Studiosystems (great dude), and a complete and utter OVERHAUL of the PSU, it is now back to its former glory.

What a great desk this is.

My CAPI VP312s sound killer played back through this baby.

I love the tape returns and solo options as well. I really love, the EQ.

Nice separation and CRACKING pres. They're different to API/Neve et al, around these ere parts but musically (and sonically) they seem to just WORK on indie, drums and in my dirty little studio.

Je t'adore this console.

Why don't Soundtracs get more press I wonder? There really are some cracking vintage gems out there. I also have the FM which is equally awesome for summing.

Matt

Nice! it must sound great!

Does anybody have some schematics at least to have an idea how is it made?

Regards.

JS

I own two, a Soundtracs M Series 32 channel and a CM4400 18 channel. Love them both, Tim has helped me alot aswell especially when fixing up the M Series before i sell it. Great consoles for not alot of money as they are not hyped up. As i understand it's a "hate it or love it" kind of sound, i just dont understand how someone can hate it :)

Neither can I.

They are awesome consoles. Ok, so the SSL, Neve and API'ites around these ere' parts will say they are not in their league, but I think that in many ways they are. They have a distinct sound, perfectly decent and natural sounding preamps and the EQ is awesome.

I actually think the separation is good as well, and the groups really work in my opinion.

Having totally reconditioned the power supply, its also a quiet desk (for its age).

Matt

got a Soundtracs Sequel live desk .
love the possibilities. 8Auxes , AB inputs , Send/Return on separate Jacks , Direct out leveladjustable on XLR , 8x8Matrix ,and so on.
don´t have Tape returns tough unfortunately .
got it for next to nothing with some ,easy to fix, issues.(i still haven´t replaced some soubgroup Vu´s  , but don´t use them anyways)

Have fun with your desk , they´re a keeper.

I've had my MR since about 1993, and it's been a great desk. I've had a few minor problems with the power supply, but since heat sinking the bridges to the case, it's been rock solid. Occasionally, I've had to replace a TL074 in the input section, but they are all in sockets, so it's a 5 minute job.

One minor issue that has cropped up is one of the LED bar graph meters sometimes indicates a steady -9db without and signal; but it's intermittent and every time I open it up to troubleshoot, it starts working properly again.

The only thing I would do different if I was designing this console, would be to provide balanced line inputs and outputs on the strips, as well as the master outputs.

Guys...

Is there a way of modding the MR console with balanced outs?

Would anyone in their own right attempt this?

On the master channel and the line ins and outs?

I find the desk a tince noisey on the groups)

Matt

Hey Everybody,

Just picked up a really good condition MR 24x8 and though not exactly what I was looking for but I am very happy with it. Sounds phenomenal to say the least. This desk has been very well maintained by the 2nd owner whom used it for 20 years before going ITB few years back. My question is Aux returns. Nick explained his workflow but I couldn't really grasp it. There's Aux sends on the back master section going to my patch bay and FX rack but where do the returns go to the board? I'm rather baffled on this anyone who knows this desk can provide some guidance will be very much appreciated

Paul
Chicago

Latest posts

Back