Troubleshooting a Soundtracs MR Series (24 Channel)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amonte

Hi Everyone,

I recently picked up a Soundtracs MR 24.  This is my first real big console as previously I had done everything strictly in the box (other than four tracks way back when).  I'm using it as a sort of hybrid system with my computer's sound card, an EMU-1820m. 

When I bought the board, I was assured (three times) that everything worked "perfectly" and there were "absolutely no issues".  Perhaps the buyer knew that returning a 100+ lb console was unlikely because there are more than a fair share of issues with it. 

The first thing I noticed is that several of the group channels (3, 6 and 7) are passing no signal when audio is assigned to them and they are also not moving the meters (the oscillator also confirms this - I originally thought that the meters were out, but it's actually the channels that are getting or passing no signal).  Given my current setup (8 in and 8 out, all to separate tracks) this isn't a total show stopper - it's annoying for sure, but something I can hopefully work around. 

The other issue isn't quite so minor - the left channel of the monitor output passes no signal.  To get around this at the moment, I am using the tape return inserts to send audio to my monitors, while the master outputs are being sent back into the sound card to record the console's output. 

Any suggestions on what to look into?  Is the whole master section one large block?  I noticed it doesn't appear to be modular like the channels.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, emails to the US Soundtracs guy were not returned.

Plug a jack with shorted tip and ring into the inserts of the dead channels. Older Soundtracs desks suffer from contact problems at their insert jack. Shorting tip and ring will bypass the switches in the socket.

Thank you!  I will give that a shot!

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot the monitor out issue?

Sorry, I never serviced that desk. I have no schematics or whatsoever to help you with the monitor section. I only know the desk from mixing many shows on it. Tim at http://www.studiosystems.co.uk knows everything about it. Shoot him an email.

amonte said:
Thank you!  I will give that a shot!

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot the monitor out issue?

You really need the schematic so you can understand the signal flow.

I had an Allen and Heath system 8 with the same symptom in the monitor section, I found that my monitor section was fine when "MONO" was engaged which helped me narrow the issue down to a dodgy PFL relay. Things like this should become more clear with the schematic and allow you to narrow down sections of the circuit.

Don't forget switches are generally considered the weakest link for old 80's consoles...

Latest posts

Back