Console VU meter causing THD problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kingston said:
I had to go and check that site in detail. I don't know what forum and tests you are talking about but based on that marketing I'd say it's head-fi. I sincerely hope you understand what that means.

Further more, his tests especially against Jung regulator is completely rigged. First of all, his regulator result is actually inferior, and secondly, he removed the pre-regulator of the Jung design! wtf, why? That's the ingenious strong point of the whole thing!

It's like some overpriced family Skoda against a Ferrari with no steering wheel.

His criticism is also on the level of "Jung regulator has a lot of caps"...

That sounds a little like motivated reasoning because you've bought the Jung regulators. ;-)

Anyway, I've got no horse in this race myself and am not actually qualified to make judgements. But here's a thread with measurements and the manufacturer chiming in as well:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/185763-belleson-superpower-ultimate-voltage-regulator.html

living sounds said:
That sounds a little like motivated reasoning because you've bought the Jung regulators.

I didn't. These are actually optimised further through at least three revisions at this point. The concept of "Jung regulator" is more a theoretical starting point and not some product on a shelf. ( Here, again: http://tangentsoft.net/elec/opamp-linreg.html )

Which makes those tests more suspect. What the did he actually test, and why stoop so low as to handicap them even further and even openly admit it?

living sounds said:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/185763-belleson-superpower-ultimate-voltage-regulator.html

I don't know what filter you use to read that site. Did you ignore the criticism entirely? For example that it actually has more noise than even LM317!

It's these kind of things that strike my bullshit filter most:

1) Superpower performs better without a pre-regulator.
2) There are no zener diodes.
3) Jung regulators have a lot of caps

All are completely meaningless statements without context, like the old "clinically test in lab conditions". Pure audiophile marketing.

The noise was what didn't look so great to me either. But I guess the main advantage of these regulators is that they are comparably small.

Again, I didn't buy them at the price.

Now here's an interesting subject: LT3080

Quite a modern chip regulator, even easier to use than LM317. 1.1A from each chip but you can parallel them to dissipate the load and resulted heat. The paralleling is actually recommended by the application notes, so not a random game with "who gets the load and dies first" like with most common regulators.

So the VU meter is still causing some distortion. Could this be avoided by putting a small transformer before the buffer op amp that goes to the VU driver? Thanks!

After rereading all my posts in this thread it looks like we determined the ground return from the meter was the source of distortion. Perhaps experiment with where that is routed.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
After rereading all my posts in this thread it looks like we determined the ground return from the meter was the source of distortion. Perhaps experiment with where that is routed.

JR

Thanks John, I'll have a look!

Latest posts

Back