Powdercoating at home

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rochey said:
yeah, i can't find a toaster oven that can take a 19" panel though.

I bought an Eastwood powder coater about 5 years ago. I never did anything with it. Mostly because i don't have proper ventilation. I looked at toaster ovens and couldn't find one that would fit a 19" panel. I thought the best way to do it would be to DIY an oven that could be broken down. I saw a video of someone who made an oven from sheet metal bent over styrofoam board with a scavenged heating element.

Yes! This looks like just what I need to make the labels for the Colour modules. The idea was for each module to come with its own panel-mount label in a custom color, but it seemed cost prohibitive until now.

Thanks for the share!

I have three of those Craftsman tools.  I tried one and decided to get a couple more for convenience and to have spare parts.  Dirt cheap at Amazon.

They are a discontinued item and I think I know why.  They all came to me broken in some way.  Mostly it seems that the plastic used is brittle and prone to cracking.  Sometimes it's on the outside- like the handle, sometimes on the inside - like the fan mount.  I repaired them with crazy glue.  They work.

The powder cups are a funky fit and are helped by a little light sanding in the right places, and will wear in to fit more smoothly.  Don't force anything or it will break.

I've found that bumping the thing periodically with the palm of my hand keeps the powder flowing better, but sometimes you get a big burst right after and it's best to point the gun to the side for a moment.

I clean parts, bake them for 15 min at the curing temperature, clean them again, and pre-heat them to a temperature of about 250f to aid in the application of powder.  If there is a spot that won't coat due to corona effect problems, then sometimes it works better to unclip the ground lead. The powder will stick to the hot part without a charge.

When I get the time I'm going to get a junk electric oven that's as big as I can find, but for now I've limped by with a toaster oven and done some larger parts by baking one end at a time, and by having the oven on it's end with the door open at the top and putting whatever I could find around the part to help help the heat directed at it.  I always use the convection mode with the fan, so that helps.

Remember that the cure temperature the part temperature, not the oven temperature.

The tape that comes in the kit is not high temperature stuff and will get brittle and a little difficult to remove, but it works OK.  I prefer the high temp. fiberglass tape.

Oh, I almost forgot - don't bake the parts indoors!  Stinky!

I did Powder-coating on my rustic furniture but the surface is not smooth after coating as I was expected. Any suggestions.

harbor freight tools has one with an 18" cubed oven (which would give a 25" diagonal).  it's pricey at $499!
http://www.harborfreight.com/powder-coat-oven-46300.html 
rochey, they have texas locations as well, though not sure how far from where you live.

the cheapest would be to get an good used electric oven from a thrift store and put it in the garage.  only thing is the difficulty of knowing how well the oven works when buying it.

I know goodwill has a 30 day return on electrical/electronic items. I would say that's your best bet for a cheap, banged up oven.

gemini86 said:
I know goodwill has a 30 day return on electrical/electronic items. I would say that's your best bet for a cheap, banged up oven.

That might not be a very neighborly thing to do. Would you want your family to eat pizza from an oven that had previously been used for powder coating (or SMD soldering, even)?

JDB.

jdbakker said:
gemini86 said:

That might not be a very neighborly thing to do. Would you want your family to eat pizza from an oven that had previously been used for powder coating (or SMD soldering, even)?

JDB.

Doesn't stop me, but I only did it a couple times, before I bought my hot air station.

Pizza still tastes OK.

JR

Latest posts

Back