Building DIY NS10s, dimensions please ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Franky

Hey people

I'm planning on building my own NS10 monitors, but I can't find the dimensions anywhere. The dimensions of the box itself were simple to find since these are provided in the NS10 manuals (381,5 x 215 x 180mm).

Could anybody provide me following measurements based on the LEFT speaker ?

Distance from the left side of the box to the left side of the woofer
Distance from the top side of the box to the top side of the woofer

Distance from the right side of the box to the right side of the tweeter case
Distance from the top side of the box to the top side of the tweeter case

(Distance between woofer and tweeter cases)

I'd love to get these distances so I can build a true NS10 clone, and I guess other people would also like these measurements 

Cheers !

Hey guys

Excuse me for the double post but received the measurements from someone. I'll post them here anyway (the same thread is on Gearslutz anyway) :

Distance from the left side of the box to the left side of the woofer - 1 3/8"
Distance from the top side of the box to the top side of the woofer - 5/8"

Distance from the right side of the box to the right side of the tweeter case - 1 1/2"
Distance from the top side of the box to the top side of the tweeter case - 1 1/4"

Regards
Mr.Franky

Dont really see why anyone would.  IMO NS10's werent very good sounding to begin with.  They were consistent but thats about it.As stated on mnats page, theres question as to the windings on the inductors.  I guess if someone wanted to cut one apart and get those values it would be feasible, but for the price you're going to pay for custom inductors and ns-10 speakers, you might as well get a pair of new speakers.

The whole Yamaha NS10 thing is a massive can of worms.
They started out life as part of a music centre system and I think it was Bob Clearmountain who popularised them for use as studio near-field monitors
Generally, they were a bit toppy so people used to put tissue paper over the tweeters.
Now these were the NS 10 M monitors.
I think their popularity took Yamaha by suprise, but they responded by bringing out a 'studio' version called the NS 10 S.
What they should have done is just simply reduced the top end, but instead they increased the bass end and in fact changed the crossover. To my mind, it sounds like a completely different monitor. I don't like them at all.
I know there's nothing more subjective than choice of monitors, and there's no such thing a perfect speaker, but for a short time there was a monitor in pretty much every control room that was a kind of standard - whether you liked the sound or not.
It would be a fantastic project to tabulate all the NS10 differences and parts etc.
That Mnats page is a good start.

Couldnt agree more barclaycon.  Still dont see the practicality of trying to DIY something like this other than to say, "I did it".  And for someone to put a kit out would be overly cost prohibitive (especially for such a lousy unit). 
I think the old M's we had, had a cloth wrapped around the tweeter end of the speaker (funny u mention that, never knew exactly WHY they did that, but makes sense now)  I always thought they were trying to be aesthetically pleasing since the cloth matched the color of the walls/furniture lol.

Part of the NS 10 "magic" is they have an amazing decay (very linear).  Look up a back issue of Resolution Magazine that did an analysis of them.  You'll see the waterfall plot.  The point is, unless you make the cab with the same wood, the same joints, and the same joining techniques, you'll never have an NS 10, even if you use NS 10 woofers and tweeters.

Now, if you want to get into speaker making... we'll that stuff is for smart people, but go for it.  I just wanted to say the NS 10 is a particular beast.

Mr.Franky said:
Hey people

I'm planning on building my own NS10 monitors, but I can't find the dimensions anywhere. The dimensions of the box itself were simple to find since these are provided in the NS10 manuals (381,5 x 215 x 180mm).

Could anybody provide me following measurements based on the LEFT speaker ?

Distance from the left side of the box to the left side of the woofer
Distance from the top side of the box to the top side of the woofer

Distance from the right side of the box to the right side of the tweeter case
Distance from the top side of the box to the top side of the tweeter case

(Distance between woofer and tweeter cases)

I'd love to get these distances so I can build a true NS10 clone, and I guess other people would also like these measurements 

Cheers !

Hi! Thank you for found dimension. But, in millimeter where is? lol

Thanks Advance.

Latest posts

Back