Aphex 204 US main -or- how to safely spec a EU replacement main trafo?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplebre

Hey guys

Title says it all. I have an aphex 204 with an E-I trafo.
I can see there's a spare pair of cables on the primary. All secondary cables are in a molex plug so easy enough to make some breakout cables and measure the current draw and possibly voltage.

I searched everywhere and it seems this trafo is custom. There are no specs, colour code, windings, nothing.

1 - how can I found out what the spare leads are (could they be a second primary 120? or it's a 2x60v in series?? - does that even exist?)
2 - If I do take current measurements from the secondary side and voltage, can these values be kept even if the primary side changes?
3 - anyone knows of a safer way to do it  ::)

The circuit seems so bare. There's very little in here :S

Edit: to confuse matters, just peaked on the new aphex website. The same unit now specs:
Power requirements 90-250 VAC 50-60 Hz 12W

WTF?

Check the continuity between the spare leads and the 110V primary winding currently in use. If there is a continuity then they are part of the primary.

To find out the voltage across them, plug the unit in through a 110V step down transformer and measure the voltage between the 0V nod and the spare leads. Whichever lead gives you 230V then that is your man.

The mains voltage rating on the new units indicate that it is a switch mode psu.

it was a one primary/one secondary. The extra's were ground taps I believe.

I spoke with Mata_haze and because it has LM7915 and a 7815 (LM340TI5) that a 15v secondary 1A (20VAC ish) should work fine.

Ordered one from ebay for £5 woot! cheaper than the 13A plug converter and goodbye buzz :)

Latest posts

Back