Beyerdynamic M260 getting grill apart .......tips needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

I found a beautful mint M260 in its box with lead looks un used its lovely, its the 60s bluey grey straight shaft one, however I need to get the basket  apart, I can hear rattlingI guess its the resonator baffle thingy come un glued ..... I have another sadly broken M260 thats already apart & I guess the basket is glued on my newer one..... need some tips on how to get it apart with damage.... Im so exited to have this mic I love singing with them.

Thanks for reading

Hi Gary,

It should push off if you can find the right edges to push. You need to apply pressure to the ring of the top half of the grill, and make sure you are not pushing on the lower grill instead! If you get it right then it should pop off.

Hope that makes sense - have a look at your broken one for a guide.

(If it really won't budge then a hot air gun will soften the glue, but will also destroy the ribbon, so I only do that if I am going to re-ribbon it anyway)

Cheers!

Stewart

Thanks Stewart its really on there....... dont want to ruin the ribbon with dryer, wonder if I could heat with a soldering without marking the basket, I will have another go at it before that ...... also going to have a go at re ribboning my old beat up 260 with the foil you sent, havent had time to try but will have some time soon ,thanks again

These can be very hard to open at times- i opened up a few ( the models without screws)
But with the last one while pushing hard i did manage to get the ring out of the bottom half
Of the grill... Bummer, but fixable with some epoxy.
Anyway, better opened ,working, and less pretty then closed, nice looking and mot functioning right...
All this thanks to help i got here...( zebra!)

Thanks Mich yes this really tight ........ I have a plunbing wrench.....I might put some soft thin leather over its jaws and see if I twist gently to break the clue, dont wanna mis shape the bottom half of the basket tho ......... If only Beyer used the same brilliant STRONG clue on the resonator as the did on the basket we wouldnt have these problems haha

An update , after looking at my older open broken m260, I scored round the basket of unopened mic where glue or gunk might have been with craft knife, dont know if it did anything, I then tried twisting top of basket didnt move, I the kept trying to push top of with a screw driver moving round the basket at first it didnt even move then after a time hoorah it started to move......
as expected the resonator was off ribbon looks perfect glued it back on back together sounds lovely, I just love the sound of the 260 on my voice .......
It inspired me to have a try at fixing my broken M260..... the ribbon was broken at the very end .....I losened all the clamp screws & pulled the ribbon tighter there was just enough ribbon to go between the two sets of clamps but not enought to connect on the broken side so I packed a little tin foil that end & it connected.... woo hoo! , messed wth the tension not that I had a lot of choice as ribbon was shorter but got a full sound...... was interesting and logical the frequency response changing as I was talking into the mic . I got as best as I heard & tightened the clamps...

I A & B ed the two mics the mint condition that I believe has full range OP tran has higher output slightly but less bass top is nice not over bright but then its a ribbon, lovely sounding mic
The beat up repaired older 260 sounds the same but as I said less level a little BUT added bass, huge bass in fact rattles my headphones sounds fantastic thru phones will try it at live gig I have tonight tho

I have just the inards of a N260 & will have a go at making a ribbon or two for it with big thanks to Stewart Zebra 50 here for materials, will post how that goes, I would like to try a corrigated ribbon on it too....

Post turned into a bit of a M260 love in haha but I hope folks got some info from my shinaniggins .....

thanks for reading

Latest posts

Back