Is LXMIC still in buisiness?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I tried to send an e-mail to LXMIC, but without a result.
I used the mail addresses lxmic01[at]gmail.com (Mr. John Gu) and lxmic02[at]gmail.com  (Ms Vivian Chen), but never received a reply.
Finally I used sales[at]lxmic.com, but this mail came back with the message that the mail address did not exist...
I the past I usually received an answer the same day!
The reason I wanted to contact them, is that I need a couple of LX34-1 capsules for some experiments.
So, if there is somebody who knows more, or maybe has an other source for cheap capsules for experimental purposes, please let me know!

(Of course the [at]  is used as an anti-spam measure. If a mail to that address would even reach the sender...)

Today I received an e-mail from Mr. John Gu of Lxmic.
They are still there and offer a very good quality K47 K67style capsule (LX34-1) for only $26!
I asked if they could also provide the mounts. They are available for only $2.50 ($26 to $28 elsewhere!)
So, a great source for capsules for everybody who likes to experiment.

RuudNL said:
Today I received an e-mail from Mr. John Gu of Lxmic.
They are still there and offer a very good quality K47 style capsule (LX34-1) for only $26!
I asked if they could also provide the mounts. They are available for only $2.50 ($26 to $28 elsewhere!)
So, a great source for capsules for everybody who likes to experiment.

How do these capsules compare to the actual capusles from which they are copied?

-James-

How do these capsules compare to the actual capusles from which they are copied?

I have compared a microphone with this capsule to a Neumann U87.
In fact I did not hear a significant difference...
Bright, very 'open' high end and a solid 'body'.
The only thing that became obvious, was that the U87 was a lot noisier than the microphone with the LX34-1 capsule!

The capsules you link to here are dual-backplate (K67-style) capsules with only one side sputtered.

My mistake! I always think a K47 is cardioid and a K67 is multi pattern. (Double sided.)

(I probably think of an U47 and an U67 microphone!)

...I believe those capsules you linked originate from Ningbo Tongxin (the actual capsule "manufacturer", not a reseller) in China:
http://www.nbmic.com/products.asp?id=102

...but you can also purchase single capsules of equal (or better quality, IMHO) here directly from DIY member Chunger's webstore (but you probably already know that):
http://store.studio939.com/product/35mm-k67-style-capsule

...hope that helps...

...since TongXin is the actual manufacturer, other than sending piecemeal samples for wholesale client approval, they are not setup to sell single unit components on a retail level...they are the wholesale/manufacturing source for branded product (source for AKG Perception mics, Kel Audio, Cascade, etc) and smaller distribution companies like LXMIC and Wide Gain Trading:
http://www.wgt1979.com/en/products.php?tid=28
...the true "retail" sources that I am aware of for those particular capsules sell them at an appreciably higher price ($100+) per unit than LXMIC's pricing, which appears to be closer to wholesale cost...

...as for the 35mm K67 capsule I linked, yes they are the same as those being offered by Cathedral Pipes...both Chunger and CP are essentially liquidating their inventory of those capsules directly to the DIY members at pricing somewhat close to original wholesale cost, making those 35mm capsules a particularly good value, IMHO...those capsules are built on metalwork originally designed and manufactured for Peluso/Ruvalds and are used in Advanced Audio and Stellar microphones, among others...

The quality, fit, and finish of these TongXin capsules has been getting better and better since I first saw them somewhere late in 2001.  The latest versions sound really great.

If nothing else, the metalwork is quite superb:  I could see a DIY member making a good business of re-skinning the TongXin brass-work (much like Peluso does) for a fraction of the cost that Peluso charges.

Matador said:
3nity said:
Thats what advanced audio does isnt?

I'm not sure:  I got the impression that Dave was hand selecting capsules that were skinned in China:  but I'm probably wrong.

...the capsules are skinned in China for both Dave (Advanced Audio) and Peter Bloch (Stellar) with fairly competent QC to sort out issues...these 35mm 6-micron mylar capsules with the brass metalwork originate from ShuaiYin (where Chunger sourced the SYT-5 body/headbasket, thus the inventory of affordable capsules)...all of the ShuaiYin capsules (K67, K47 and C12) have brass bezels...

...the 34mm K67 with the white mounting bezels (plastic/nylon?...meant to look similar to the porcelain bezels used by Neumann) are the ones originating from TongXin and generally have 3-micron mylar diaphragms...TongXin uses the white bezels for their K67 and K47 capsules and brass for their C12 (5-micron mylar)...

...I prefer the 6-micron mylar, especially if your removing inner mesh from the headbasket, as it handles plosives and spl better, IMHO...that 35mm 6-micron ShuaiYin capsule tends not to be tuned as bright as the 34mm TongXin capsules as well, and for $28-30 each, it's a great upgrade from the standard 32mm capsules found in many of the cheaper Chinese LDC mics like the Apex 460 (Alctron HST-11A)...don't let the cheap prices on those 35mm K67s lead you to underestimating their usefullness...the Stellar CM-6 holds it's own in shootouts against some very costly competition while utilizing that same capsule (the CM-6's transformer also has an EQ notch that tames the top a bit as well)...

Latest posts

Back