A little off topic- mic pop screen mesh sizes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songguy

Sorry if this is a little off topic. Wasn't  quite sure where to post this one.

Lately I've been obsessing on mic pop screens..

Being a DIYer and a spec nut I realized that I could probably build a very good one at a very reasonable price.
After many hours of research I've decided to attempt a "hybrid" that encompasses the benefits of wire mesh and nylon screens. I've seen similar ones retail around $300.

Essentially I need 2 sizes of wire mesh. One large enough to cut down (but not completely remove) the plosives. The other to 1) deflect the remaing low plosive energy and 2) let the highs through with very little or no perceivable change.

The first step is to determine screen sizes and this where I need you help. Can anyone speculate as to the mesh size used in general for pop screens.

Grateful for any info.
Best,
Chris

Ok from various Internet sources stockings seem to be in the neighborhood of 160-220 micron (unstretched).

This is all new to me..  If you have any experience or knowledge of this topic please let me know.

C

I had created one along these lines years ago. Basically what you do is use a single layer of perforated metal (like the stuff on some guitar speaker cabinets) for one screen. Then, use only a single layer of nylon stocking wrapped around a 6 inch embroidery ring (most commercial products use two layers of nylon). Finally, I put the perforated metal on one gooseneck, and the nylon screen on another. While neither is useful on there own, together with a 1-2 inch air gap between them they stop the pops and have less impact on the sound than a single-screened option.

A helpful tip is to use one of the cheap mesh pop filters from the music store, and cut off just one of the nylon layers.

-James-

the way the metal pop stoppers work is actually angled perforations so that when the air passes through it changes direction to the side and exits before hitting the microphone.

Latest posts

Back