My little 51x Testbox

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kante1603

Hello,

didn't know where to put this,hope I'm in the right thread :)
This is a little box I built for general testing 51x and compatible modules.
I went on holidays some days ago and wanted to build some stuff there.
Looking at my little workshop and especially the big and heavy lab PSUs I decided to hook up something small that works as a psu,an audio breakout box including having some possibilities for easy changing ground connections.So I looked at what I had in my drawers and found a nice modushop case,a jlm psu (5 rails),a card edge connector,some switches,some D-series Neutrik XLRs,some LEDs,a fuse holder etc.
Fooled around a bit with them and found that all might fit in that case.O.K.,it's a tight fit,but doable.
Made some panel designs with FPD then over night and sent the files to Frank @ NRG Recording.
He was so kind and made them pretty fast,sent them to my holiday location then,cool.

Thanks Frank!!!

Had some basic tools with me and was able to finish the box today.
Pretty nice because I'm waiting for some brandnew preamps.
The box itself can lay flat in front of you,but also in upright position and will hold a single 51x module easily (that's why the card edge connector is not centered,the transformer is then at the bottom).

Here's a pic,I'm curious what you think about it........

Best,

Udo.

P.S.:I have only an iPad with me.In case anybody wants to see more of it I will try and upload some additional pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 322
That is some awesome craftsmanship! Looks like something you could buy off a shelve in a 51x enthusiasts shop :)

It's a beauty!  Hard to find anything to complain about, but I'll give it a shot  ;)

I'd want those panels to have a small chamfer on the edge.

This is the kind of thing that might be tossed in a tool box/bag, so the toggle switches may suffer in the long run.  Slide switches or protected short bat toggles might hold up better.

A dual row header to access the signals and allow you to open and close the path with jumpers would be useful, although that could be done with an intermediate board between the module and the test box.

I don't see any protection or current limiting on the DC rails.  Can they withstand shorting?

I'd make it a little uglier, just to keep people from getting too jealous  ;D

Yes,a chamfer would be better.Maybe I'll file down the edges at least.

As said it was a pretty quick build,therefore the 3-pole switches.Not needed but I had them laying around,hahaha.......and they were toggles.But at least with a center off position.

I think the box will stay on my table at home most of time because it is so fast to set up.
For transport I always put my little helpers in a small case,covered with foam/rubber mats.

The psu is a powerstation from Joe,based on LM317/LM337.From what I know they are short proof and limit the current then.After that a thermal fuse switches in.......and there's absolutely no room left to put in 5 fuseholders.

Making it uglier is easy,maybe I have some Be*****er stickers at home ;D

Thanks for watching,

Udo.

P.S.: I already thought about some possible adapter boards,may even a small box to hold two modules (or a stereo module like the TBDD from Brian),the psu can supply two with ease.But the inner useful height of the box is a bit too low. :'(
A dual header or even better two rows of banana jacks to interupt the power rails can be useful to measure currents of course.

So I used it for the first time,working nice so far.
Here's a pic laying flat on a table with a module to test plugged in:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 161
...and one in upright position,I really like that!
Has a great stand,the transformer and heavy stuff is now on the bottom of the box.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 119
Back