DIY Vertical Drip Fairchild 670 v2

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobee

Hi folks
I've finished my first ever DIY Drip Fairchild 670 mastering compressor. The built went without any problems! It sounds amazing! Big ups to DRIP!
Cheers

Drip_Fairchild_670_7844.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7843.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7842.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7840.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7838.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7841.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7839.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7836.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7837.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7835.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7832.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7833.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7834.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7830.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7831.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7829.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7827.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7826.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7825.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7828.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7824.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7823.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7822.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7820.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7816.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7817.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7818.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7819.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7810.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7811.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7815.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7813.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7812.jpg

Drip_Fairchild_670_7814.jpg

Nice job! Lots of attention to detail. I see you didnt decide to mess with the original matrix switch wiring.

Also, what did you use for meters?

mdainsd said:
Nice job! Lots of attention to detail. I see you didnt decide to mess with the original matrix switch wiring.

Also, what did you use for meters?

I didn't have to mess with the matrix since it's built in on that top green PCB which mates with the 670PCB. All it needs is 5v to power the relays to switch from LAT/VERT.

You can buy the Fairchild meters at this address below:

Jason
Instrument Meter Specialties
339 East Ave K8
Suite 105
Lancaster, CA 93535-4551
multimeter.com <http://www.multimeter.com/>
metersales.com <http://www.metersales.com/>
Phone: 800-926-3837
FAX: 661-339-2309
Hours: Mon-Thurs 8:00am-4:30pm Fri 8:00am-4:00pm

hazel said:
Amazing!

"The built went without any problems"??? please explain a little more...post samples!

I mean It worked at first power on. If you follow the manual and verify your work 3 times (including testing all your components before soldering them) It will work! I will put some samples soon.
Cheers
George

fobee said:
hazel said:
Amazing!

"The built went without any problems"??? please explain a little more...post samples!

I mean It worked at first power on. If you follow the manual and verify your work 3 times (including testing all your components before soldering them) It will work! I will put some samples soon.
Cheers
George

I use to triple check every solder before power on but i've read so many threads on troubleshooting 670...you're a master man!

How many time you spent? (i won't ask for money :p)

hazel said:
fobee said:
hazel said:
Amazing!

Cheers
George

I use to triple check every solder before power on but i've read so many threads on troubleshooting 670...you're a master man!

I've spent more time modifying the back of the case to fit those big Mundorf Caps and the transformers. I have no idea how many hours I've put in, but at least 2-3 hours per day for about 2 months or so? Did you experience problems with your build?

fobee said:
hazel said:
fobee said:
hazel said:
Amazing!

Cheers
George

I've spent more time modifying the back of the case to fit those big Mundorf Caps and the transformers. I have no idea how many hours I've put in, but at least 2-3 hours per day for about 2 months or so? Did you experience problems with your build?

I'm not building a 670...yet. I'm still prototyping 3 simultaneous projects (comps and eq's) :)

I always felt scared about 670, not for the money investment but many tubes and iron to worry about.

It's great you built it so quick and trouble free

hazel said:
fobee said:
hazel said:
fobee said:
hazel said:
Amazing!

Cheers
George

I'm not building a 670...yet. I'm still prototyping 3 simultaneous projects (comps and eq's) :)

I always felt scared about 670, not for the money investment but many tubes and iron to worry about.

It's great you built it so quick and trouble free

Trust me, it's not that complicated! This is my first DIY project EVER, so if I did it, anyone can do it!
There's a lot of info on http://community.dripelectronics.com and other forums.

The only thing you require to finish it (besides money and time) is patience and QC of your own work.
cheers

fobee said:
Trust me, it's not that complicated! This is my first DIY project EVER, so if I did it, anyone can do it!

The only thing you require to finish it (besides money and time) is patience and QC of your own work.
cheers

Any sound or "Tube" sample ?

is it really essential on the " L-R " Master out ?

peace
R.

Holy Crap Batman!!!!!!!  AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a lot of IRON and One Huge Cap in the REAR hahahahah.

Best of Luck with it, Enjoy your Fruits of Labor.

Great Build!

Are they LM317 PCBs with digital meters on them? I really like that and would like to know more!

home_listening said:
Great Build!

Are they LM317 PCBs with digital meters on them? I really like that and would like to know more!

You can Buy them on e-bay, they are very cheap. I had a spare winding of 6,3VAC from T303 and I've decided to split it in 2 for these LM317 PCBs. I use one for the fans and the other to power the AGC Card with 5.0V

Gustav said:
Thats a lot of work!

Gustav

When I look back it wasn't that bad...
Wait till you see the UE-100! That monster requires a lot of patience and tons of work!!!

r2d2 said:
fobee said:

cheers

Any sound sample ?

is it realy essential on the " L-R " Master out ?

peace
R.

I started working on the UE-100 and I won't have time for samples for now, but I gotta tell you that it's a treat to have it on the 2buss.

Latest posts

Back