W type potentiometer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seavote

hi, haven't been around much but when I get stumped I know where I can find answers.
I'm having trouble sourcing a 16mm dual gang w type taper pot.
ive done some research and am confused. is  a w type just a reverse audio log. or as some others online say
reverse log for 1st half of rotation andlog for the secondhalf.
any one know where to source these. I  need pin termination  thanks for any help
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

pottaper.gif

You don't need to get the actual pot, just a linear one with higher value, let's say 5 times and 2 resistors of something around the value you need, you attach the resistors from the wiper to each end and the curve will be close to what you are needing, there was an XLS out there which make the curves for that and a couple of nice stuff, I'll try to find it. The total resistance of the pot will change with rotation, depending on the resistors and pot values you choose, lower will be at extremes, lower than 1 resistor, and higher will be at mid point, lower than both resistors in series, so using the resistors the same as your wanted pot value will let you with little lower resistance at extremes and little higher at mid point, sounds fine to me.

JS

It was easier than I thought, my memory isn't that bad...

Here it is the XLS, which is in english, http://www.pisotones.com/Potes/TaperRes_English.xls
The web from where it come from isn't http://www.pisotones.com/Potes/Potes.htm

JS

I used the taper #5 for 50k dual pots for my kit business back in the 70s.. I think alps may have called it a B-vol taper...

Nice and slow at 50% for well behaved Baxandall topology tone controls (flat at mid setting, faster at both ends), while a modest amount of slugging makes a respectable volume control.

JR

Latest posts

Back