API 500 - L bracket bending issue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niketouille

Hi guys,
For a API 500 module I am building I need a L bracket with a front panel hole for a vumeter. I have contacted a few company and they can't build a prototype properly because when they are bending the plate it deforms the meter hole.
Commercial and diy product are available using this meter like LAZ LA3A and JLM compressor wich makes me sure it is possible.
Anyone have an idea of the process I should use to make that happen ?
Cheers
G.

Attachments

• Deformed L.jpg
    Deformed L.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 67
To overcome this problem you laser cut or punch a  1-1.5mm wide strip  along the edge before folding and then fold it.

I doubt there is room for another 1 to 1.5mm along the edge, the design probably calls for a given width (500 series module width). the cutout seems to max things out, but if the meter itself fits, why not? screw a piece of wood into the pre bent bracket so that you get a rigid combo when putting it into the wise for drilling the larger hole. make it just as large as the fontpanel part so it will fit tight.

- Michael

I can't see in the picture, but if it's only a cosmetic problem you still need to add the front panel, if it's coming over and it will not let the front panel sit properly you could file the excess away, it will be hiding anyway.

If it's a comercial kit and you want the inside to look good then I'd drill after bending, at least the big hole, you could have a center hole before so it's easier to find the place to do it.

Other option is a bigger hole which comes over the edge so the bending machine doesn't need to bend from that short end, as you don't have space to the other sides of the holes an egg shaped hole would do it, not a problem if laser cutting but a PITA if drilling, you'll need an extra step to file it and reshape the hole. The small cutout at the side shouldn't be a problem and could have any shape you want, depending on the process, but squared a few mm to the side will do the trick, just to end the hole right after the bending.

JS

audiomixer said:
....I doubt there is room for another 1 to 1.5mm along the edge,....

- Michael

You may, but there is. Folding radius is generally equals to the thickness of the material.  For 1mm sheet which is what you would normally use 1mm slit will sort out the problem. All you are doing is to remove the material along the folding edge. That releases the tension .

But if it is too close then it would not be very difficult to modify that part of the drawing. There is no need to keep a complete circle.

audiomixer said:
how about the obvious... bend first, make hole after ?

- Michael

Seems like once bent, the L bracket doesn't fit the laser cutting machine anymore.

Winetree said:
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=87_88&products_id=181
Blank L-Bracket.  Then drill holes.

35 mm hole is hard to drill at home...

sahib said:
To overcome this problem you laser cut or punch a  1-1.5mm wide strip  along the edge before folding and then fold it.

Nice, I will suggest this.

audiomixer said:
I doubt there is room for another 1 to 1.5mm along the edge, the design probably calls for a given width (500 series module width). the cutout seems to max things out, but if the meter itself fits, why not? screw a piece of wood into the pre bent bracket so that you get a rigid combo when putting it into the wise for drilling the larger hole. make it just as large as the fontpanel part so it will fit tight.

- Michael

Big hole is 35mm and front width is 37mm so it seems to be doable. Regarding the drilling after bending the guys told me it is not possible.

joaquins said:
I can't see in the picture, but if it's only a cosmetic problem you still need to add the front panel, if it's coming over and it will not let the front panel sit properly you could file the excess away, it will be hiding anyway.

If it's a comercial kit and you want the inside to look good then I'd drill after bending, at least the big hole, you could have a center hole before so it's easier to find the place to do it.

Other option is a bigger hole which comes over the edge so the bending machine doesn't need to bend from that short end, as you don't have space to the other sides of the holes an egg shaped hole would do it, not a problem if laser cutting but a PITA if drilling, you'll need an extra step to file it and reshape the hole. The small cutout at the side shouldn't be a problem and could have any shape you want, depending on the process, but squared a few mm to the side will do the trick, just to end the hole right after the bending.

JS

It is not only a cosmetic issue. the bending change the shape of the drilling and as a result the meter doesn't fit the hole anymore.
The bending also change the smaller drilling around the main drilling which makes impossible to fit any screw in there.
I am not sure to fully understand your idea regarding the egg shaped hole.

I have already thought about screwing the meter directly on the front panel and leaving that part of the L bracket blank. Thing is I don't want to lose rigidity.
Also I did not precise it but aluminium thickness is 1,5 mm.

Thank you guys for helping me out with this.

Niketouille said:
Big hole is 35mm and front width is 37mm so it seems to be doable. Regarding the drilling after bending the guys told me it is not possible.

In which case your guy and Michael are right.  There is only 1mm space and that is not sufficient. If your material is 1.5mm the bend radius is going to be 1.5mm. You don't have that.

You'll need to use 1mm material and modify the drawing so that the circle is extended over the fold. If you want rigidity then use steel instead of aluminium.  It will also give better EMI protection.

Niketouille said:
joaquins said:

JS

It is not only a cosmetic issue. the bending change the shape of the drilling and as a result the meter doesn't fit the hole anymore.
The bending also change the smaller drilling around the main drilling which makes impossible to fit any screw in there.
I am not sure to fully understand your idea regarding the egg shaped hole.

I have already thought about screwing the meter directly on the front panel and leaving that part of the L bracket blank. Thing is I don't want to lose rigidity.
Also I did not precise it but aluminium thickness is 1,5 mm.

Thank you guys for helping me out with this.

Here is the idea, on top the idea of the hole, on the bottom the folded result. In this way the edge will have some mm of wall to bend over, and the part which is too thin disappears so it doesn't need to bend it.

JS

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back