DR-73 NEVE Preamp/EQ from DIY-Racked

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hugo said:
DR-73 is better than Ez1073.

I really dont see why.
Modular cards made sense for Neve in the early 70s because the same boards could be applied to a lot different things and modules.  Dont see the point if you just want to have a mic pre and EQ.
For me it just seems a lot of unnecessary work and cards connected to unneeded Connectors that might fail.

But that is just my personal opinion

Whoops said:
hugo said:

I really dont see why.
Modular cards made sense for Neve in the early 70s because the same boards could be applied to a lot different things and modules.  Dont see the point if you just want to have a mic pre and EQ.
For me it just seems a lot of unnecessary work and cards connected to unneeded Connectors that might fail.

You are theoricaly right, we will compare ;-) But if there is no interest to make this design...why does BAE make the same ?..https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/moan-zone/255071d1316878654-all-these-neve-knock-offs-real-thing-neve1073.jpg

hugo said:
Whoops said:
hugo said:

I really dont see why.

You are theoricaly right, we will compare ;-) But if there is no interest to make this design...why does BAE make the same ?..https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/moan-zone/255071d1316878654-all-these-neve-knock-offs-real-thing-neve1073.jpg

Because they market their products to users that want to buy Neve clones, users  that need to see the units look like the original Neve.
But around this forum, with the shared knowledge, we know better!

Whoops said:
hugo said:
Whoops said:
hugo said:

I really dont see why.

Because they market their products to users that want to buy Neve clones, users  that need to see the units look like the original Neve.
But around this forum, with the shared knowledge, we know better!

Nice kick !  :D
Cheers

cptpfeffer said:
Hi Folks,
just finished my first (of 4) DIY Racked DR-73 Neve 1073 clones. The difference to other 1073 clones is the High Frequency part, which is from the 1084. Very nice, since the Frequency can be changed from 12 to 10, or 16kHz ;-) The two In transformers are Marinair T1447, they give 3dB more juice than the originals. Output Is a LO1166 Marinair,  old used Neve Mixing desk part ;-)
All Filtercaps are old NOS Mullard Mustards and old NOS Styroflex Caps ;-)
Greets,
Bernd
Great build! i don' think mines will be so clean  :) . Do ou know if marinair 10368 line transformers can be a good replacement for input ?..

mustard and tropical fish ordered, currently negociate for some marinair transfos. Anyone can tell me which price is standard for each ?..

pvision said:
peterc said:
Where did you get the push switches with the built in LED, if I may ask?

I second that.  Anyone know the supplier?

Nick Froome

Bernd already answered that.

cptpfeffer said:
Hi Peter,
they come together with the partial kit from DIY-Racked. But the LED is actually a separate part. It is just located behind the switchcap. You need switchcaps with a "glass" part on one side ;-)
Greets,
Bernd

cptpfeffer said:
Hi Folks,
just finished my first (of 4) DIY Racked DR-73 Neve 1073 clones. The difference to other 1073 clones is the High Frequency part, which is from the 1084. Very nice, since the Frequency can be changed from 12 to 10, or 16kHz ;-) The two In transformers are Marinair T1447, they give 3dB more juice than the originals. Output Is a LO1166 Marinair,  old used Neve Mixing desk part ;-)
Greets,
Bernd

Hi Bernd, could you please tell me which wire do you use for that type of project ?
Thanks

Hi all,
I started this expert build...i prevent all of you this build will cost you more time and more money than aml's, but i think it will be more easy to service this uunit, with separate pcbs etc...
I have one question regarding the audio transformers wiring, I orderedblack marinair and green with yellow sticker. They are line trafos, but i want to use the black one as mic trafo and the green as line trafo.. how to wire a line input marinair as mic input trafo ? Can somebody share a picture ?
Second question...when i bought those trafos, a styroflex was soldered on it, i removed it.  do i need to put one cap on transformers (all trafos ?), which values and which pins ?? i do not know at all and it does not appear on the build guide.
Thank you

Hi Bernd,
Do you think you use the best internal layout ? If you have more units to make, would you use the same layout as you did ?
thank you
Hugo

Hugo if you still haven't found the chematic how to use Line in transformer as mic in, download zip file from Diy-racked dot com there is manual and bom, and there was s jpg how to wire L31267 as inout mic transformer.

Hi,
Thank you for this, i finally fought but i am building mine with the good marinair transfos, so no need to reverse the wiring. Thanks again :)

Hi Folks,
just finished my first (of 4) DIY Racked DR-73 Neve 1073 clones. The difference to other 1073 clones is the High Frequency part, which is from the 1084. Very nice, since the Frequency can be changed from 12 to 10, or 16kHz ;-) The two In transformers are Marinair T1447, they give 3dB more juice than the originals. Output Is a LO1166 Marinair, old used Neve Mixing desk part ;-)
Greets,
Bernd
Hello Bernd,
this is a very nice rack that you built there. Congratulation!
I'm just starting with the DR 73 preamp. Do you have a supplier parts list or an order from Mouser etc?
It would be nice if you could help me.

B.R. Thomas

Hello Bernd,
this is a very nice rack that you built there. Congratulation!
I'm just starting with the DR 73 preamp. Do you have a supplier parts list or an order from Mouser etc?
It would be nice if you could help me.

B.R. Thomas
Hi Thomas,

I just started this build myself. It might be a bad choice because this project is marked as a pro build (and it is) .. and I’m not pro at building this stuff at all (yet). I’m used to the analog vibes and Sound Skulptor stuff with all the fancy manuals and build guides. And this DR-73 is definitely not that ;) but I’m actually learning a lot, so that’s good. So I was curious about how your build is going. Did you finish it yet? And do you have a way to test this unit once it’s done? I didn’t get a test guide or anything. Nor did they provide any guidance on the PSU … or at least not to me.

Best regards,
Bart

Latest posts

Back