letterbeacon

Re: FEELER: Authentic P2P Pultec MEQ-5 chassis
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
Oh, that’s a bit annoying! Thanks for letting me know!

ron_swanson

« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2019, 06:47:19 PM »
Oh, that’s a bit annoying! Thanks for letting me know!

Letterbeacon,

I have 4 x160012 in the post supposedly scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Assuming I’m getting what I was promised,  you’re welcome to purchase one.  They were a bit on the pricey side and of course, I’m in the US so there’s shipping to consider too.

Let me know if you’re interested?   We’ll try to work something out.

Greg

ron_swanson

« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
Anyone have or know where I can find internal pictures of a real MEQ-5 or of their close constructed clone they care to share?  I'd love to see how the capacitors and inductors wehre mechanically laid out and / or fastened.  My Google searching skills must be off as I can't find much of anything.

Thanks in advance!

Greg
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:39:35 AM by ron_swanson »

Jeremy.Starseed

Currently Sweden, oftentimes San Francisco
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2019, 01:09:17 PM »
 225 EUR (excl. VAT if applicable)
20+ chassis would be:  195 EUR (excl. VAT if applicable)

If the price drops to 195 I would be interested in 2.
Mothership Mastering

" You won't believe how good you sound! "

TillM

« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2019, 03:41:56 PM »
Little too late. You can already buy them from Martin.
www.analogvibes.com

ron_swanson

« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2019, 11:00:15 AM »
Finished my MEQ0-5 build last night.  All seems to be working as expected.  Yay!

Checked all voltages marked on the schematic I have.  No issues.  No distortion, buzzes, hums or other artifacts found or being presented so far...

I inadvertently wired the bypass switch backwards - off was on, on was bypass, so had to re-wire that, but after making that fix, the unit sounds amazing!

My first point-to-point build...

My capacitor planning / execution leaves a little to be desired.  Might re-look at that.  It wasn't clear to me where or how the caps and inductors were mounted in vintage units, so I ended up throwing caution to the wind. 

That aside, I used a vintage Triad HS-56 input transformer (had three of these in my parts cabinet), but so far haven't found a HS-50, so using a Sowter 1290 that I ended up mounting internally. 

The bypass switch is a NOS Switchcraft and the frequency rotary switches are ceramic NOS parts sourced from Eastern Europe. 

Vintage Windings inductors.

Of course, as soon as I nearly finished my build, I found a NOS Traid R-7A transformer in the original box and another used (?) R-7A which are both in the mail at the moment.  Debating whether or not to replace the current Hammond in favor of a vintage R-7A?

With the exception of the reverse pot, the rest are NOS Allen-Bradley pots . 

The 2k5 reverse log pot is a Mouser sourced modern part which unfortunately is a mini pot that I kludged into fitting with a home made shim around the bushing to make it fit properly in the chassis.  I recently learned of and ordered a small number of full sized 2k5 rev log pots from Blore Edwards Limited in the UK.   I'll probably swap that part out just to have a full sized pot in place even though the mini pot is working.   

Thanks to Martin for making this chassis available.  Great project!  A second build is likely ahead of me in the near future!  ;-)

ron_swanson

« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2019, 11:00:46 AM »
more...

ron_swanson

« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »
last one...

ron_swanson

« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2019, 06:27:13 PM »
Of course, as soon as my MEQ-5 build was nearly completed, I found a pair of Triad R-7a power transformers and a pair of Triad HS-50’s to compliment the Triad HS-56 input transformer already wired in. 

The surgery was successful. 

Now my build has a full set of vintage Triad transformers. 

Sounds amazing!!!

Cheers, Greg
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:17:17 AM by ron_swanson »

ron_swanson

« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2019, 06:28:14 PM »
And, one more...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:18:04 AM by ron_swanson »

ron_swanson

« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2019, 09:47:06 PM »
Shout out to Blore-Edwards who made me some custom 2k5 Reverse Log pots for this build. 

https://www.blore-ed.com/

Excellent quality.  Beautiful feel.  Like them maybe a little more than the Ohmites!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:18:47 AM by ron_swanson »

rainton

« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2019, 03:03:33 AM »
Your unit looks amazing!

Great work! I used the same set of transformers in my build - and the only problem about having one MEQ-5 in my repertoire is that now I want a second one  ;D

I already have the HS56 and a HS50...

ron_swanson

« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2019, 11:20:23 AM »
Your unit looks amazing!

Great work! I used the same set of transformers in my build - and the only problem about having one MEQ-5 in my repertoire is that now I want a second one  ;D

I already have the HS56 and a HS50...

Thanks rainton!

I too have another set of Traid transformers and I also have a second build on my mind...   ;D