Mic dropped 10"... Damaged?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtl777diy

Hey guys, quick question, and forgive me if it's a dumb question.  ;) If a large diaphragm condenser mic is accidentally dropped from a height of 10 inches, would it be damaged (the capsule, I mean, or whatever else is fragile inside the mic that could be damaged)?  What is the lowest dropping height that could possibly damage a LDC mic?  What kind of damage would the mic sustain if it's dropped, and how to fix it?

Thanks!  :)

Hi,
the main risk is to loose the diaphragm tension uniformity , and therefore to ruin the capsule response
on a center terminated you can unscrew the center screw and re-screw it , and hope that will be enough to solve the issue

regards
Fred

I think the first questions after a microphone drop should be:

1: Is the microphone still working?
2: Does the microphone sound the same as before?

If both questions can be answered with 'yes', then I would not worry too much...  ;D

Hey guys, thank you so much for your replies!  :)

I have tested the mic, and other than the change in the sound  due to the change of the transformer (I replaced the stock transformer with an AMI T14), it seems to be okay.  The mic's output level is comparable to another known good mic that I have, and I don't hear any distortion or smearing or phase issues in the output.

I also asked the manufacturer about the possibility of damage due to a drop from 10 inches high, and he said it's unlikely to damage it because he once tried dropping a similar mic from 31 inches high and all it did was damage the head basket but not the capsule or its response.

So I guess my mic is fine, and I can now heave a sigh of relief!  ;)

Back