Questions about microphones...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxim Didur

Hello again guys! First, I would like to thank the members of this forum for participating in my experiment. The answers to my old thread were very helpful and informative and I found answers to my research questions questions I have been looking for months, thank you very much. However last post also raised a lot of new questions, so I would really appreciate it if you could answer them!

1. Does circuitry really affect the sound of a microphone, if so, how?

2. What is the natural resonance frequency and what does it affect in terms of microphone sound?

3. What are the differences between microphones in terms of sound characteristics (Frequency response, transient response, harmonic response, self-noise, something else)?

4. What is the difference between cheap and expensive diaphragms (Condenser and Dynamic)?

5. Diaphragm frequency correction = equalizer correction?

6. How does diaphragm stiffness affect the sound?

7. How is the frequency response of a microphone formed, why do certain microphones have a certain frequency response?

8. Wide-membrane microphones are more sensitive to details and low frequencies, and narrow-membrane microphones are more sensitive to transients and high frequencies - is this a myth? Do expensive dynamic microphones have problems with capturing low frequencies and can a microphone with a wider diaphragm be more sensitive to transients than a microphone with a narrower diaphragm and vice versa? (What does this depend on).

9. Why are some microphones expensive and others cheap? (For example: AT2020 - 100$, Neumann U87 - 4000$). What does the price of a microphone depend on and why is there such a big difference in price between these two models, is there really a 3900$ difference in sound?

10. Bad mics are made by people who don't know what they are doing. Are the people at akg who make the akg p120 uneducated, why then does this mic sound so bad? (This question applies to all cheap microphones of famous brands like: Se electronics x1s, At2020, Rode-Nt1a). If it's not the education of their manufacturers then why are they cheap?

11. What in your opinion is the most important component of the microphone that plays the most important role in shaping the sound of the microphone (Or the top of the most important parts of the microphone)?

I'll try to be as concise and keep it as simple as possible.

1. Does circuitry really affect the sound of a microphone, if so, how?
Yes. Total harmonic distortion and it's profile, noise, frequency response, phase.

2. What is the natural resonance frequency and what does it affect in terms of microphone sound?

Natural resonance of any component within a mic will cause some amount of ringing (resonance) and interfere with several elements of the sound.

3. What are the differences between microphones in terms of sound characteristics (Frequency response, transient response, harmonic response, self-noise, something else)?
Overismplified, same as first answer + pattern characteristics, proximity effect, plosive control, and how a mic renders 3d sound into a simple 1d signal. In case of multipattern, how good it is at doing this without creating various side-effects.

4. What is the difference between cheap and expensive diaphragms (Condenser and Dynamic)?
Consistency, design, flexibility, endurance, cleanliness, stability, material, sputtering, longevity, if a technician really knows what they are doing or if it's a cookie cutter stuff (not necessarily bad) +++

5. Diaphragm frequency correction = equalizer correction?
You mean capsule? Yes, unless the FR deviation is caused by resonance, that can't be fixed with an eq. And this is only for FR, you can't adress other parameters with an EQ.

6. How does diaphragm stiffness affect the sound?
Mostly low end, there's a simple equation for this.

7. How is the frequency response of a microphone formed, why do certain microphones have a certain frequency response?
Capsule construction, many books, patents written on the topic, way beyond anyone's abilities to explain in a post. And circuit EQ correction.

8. Wide-membrane microphones are more sensitive to details and low frequencies, and narrow-membrane microphones are more sensitive to transients and high frequencies - is this a myth? Do expensive dynamic microphones have problems with capturing low frequencies and can a microphone with a wider diaphragm be more sensitive to transients than a microphone with a narrower diaphragm and vice versa? (What does this depend on).
This has been adressed by many in previous thread. Most assumptions here are wrong. Yes you can have LDC with better TR than SDC. It depends on frequency response extension.

9. Why are some microphones expensive and others cheap? (For example: AT2020 - 100$, Neumann U87 - 4000$). What does the price of a microphone depend on and why is there such a big difference in price between these two models, is there really a 3900$ difference in sound?
AT2020 is a SDC microphone, not produced by Audio Technica, it is outsourced.
With u87 you pay for German wages, QC, legacy, consistency, reliability, high quality materials, engineers who know exactly what they are doing, tuning, future research and development, the fact it could be a main mic in any proffessiinal studio on the planet. No, there isn't 3900$ difference in sound, they are different microphones, can't be compared. I suggested good inexpensive mics in the previous thread. Surely there has to be source where 2020 will win over u87, horses for causes. 2020 has better transient response for sure, and probably lower THD, especially at LF.

10. Bad mics are made by people who don't know what they are doing. Are the people at akg who make the akg p120 uneducated, why then does this mic sound so bad? (This question applies to all cheap microphones of famous brands like: Se electronics x1s, At2020, Rode-Nt1a). If it's not the education of their manufacturers then why are they cheap?
AKG people don't really care about their products anymore because it's been just a brand name for a while now. Owned by companies who are in just for the profit.

Se electronics is not a reputable brand, they have no idea what they are doing which they have proven over, and over again. AT2020 explained, Rode NT1a is a perfectly fine mic, anyone having issues with this mic needs some production experience. They skimped on the headbasket to make it easier to produce, so it can be a bit improved by something like Michael Jolly headbasket mod. But it won't make a huge difference.

11. What in your opinion is the most important component of the microphone that plays the most important role in shaping the sound of the microphone (Or the top of the most important parts of the microphone)?
Microphone capsule with non reflective, non resonant headbasket. They are really one and the same. Part of the capsule system. Beyond that you just need a decent circuit of choice in order not to mess up the sound. If a capsule is designed to be EQ corrected like u87, or MKH800 you need to make sure this correction happens somewhere along the way.

There is much more to it, people devote their whole lives to just one of these components, but this is it in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Natural resonance of any component within a mic will cause some amount of ringing (resonance) and interfere with several elements of the sound.
I also heard that the frequency of the resonance defines the most sensitive frequency range microphone sesnitive to and it adds saturation. Is it true?

AT2020 is a SDC microphone, not produced by Audio Technica, it is outsourced.
With u87 you pay for German wages, QC, legacy, consistency, reliability, high quality materials, engineers who know exactly what they are doing, tuning, future research and development, the fact it could be a main mic in any proffessiinal studio on the planet. No, there isn't 3900$ difference in sound, they are different microphones, can't be compared. I suggested good inexpensive mics in the previous thread. Surely there has to be source where 2020 will win over u87, horses for causes. 2020 has better transient response for sure, and probably lower THD, especially at LF.

AKG people don't really care about their products anymore because it's been just a brand name for a while now. Owned by companies who are in just for the profit.

Se electronics is not a reputable brand, they have no idea what they are doing which they have proven over, and over again.
Interesting, are there any avidance that AKG don't really care about their products anymore and that Se electronics have no idea what they are doing. Why did u say so? (Just curious)

Interesting, are there any avidance that AKG don't really care about their products anymore and that Se electronics have no idea what they are doing. Why did u say so? (Just curious)
Which is also another brand name. the actual owner is Samsung.
I'm not privvy to Samsung's work organization, but I would think all mics are now subcontracted to different jobbers. The 414 capsules are probably an OEM derivative of an existing line.

From the ashes, the Phoenix is reborn under the Austrian Audio name.
I would expect you read the replies to the thread you started.

Regarding Se, many technical flaws in most of their microphones, IDK where to start. You can look into usual mods people do in order to improve on these.

I would expect you read the replies to the thread you started.

Regarding Se, many technical flaws in most of their microphones, IDK where to start. You can look into usual mods people do in order to improve on these.

Thank you for answearing! Actually I read all of replies, пrabbed the post about AT on excident (still learning how to use this forum).

I also heard that the frequency of the resonance defines the most sensitive frequency range microphone sesnitive to and it adds saturation. Is it true?
This is a myth, probably coming from ribbons where it is the case. You tune resonance of condenser diaphragm to certain frequency, usually 1000-1500hz for typical LDC. But once you put the diaphragm on the backplate the resonant frequency shifts considerably because air behind dampens it. Not to mention center screw termination. They are tuned to specific frequency to ensure consistency and performance of low end, and it doesn't stick to the backplate.

This is a myth, probably coming from ribbons where it is the case. You tune resonance of condenser diaphragm to certain frequency, usually 1000-1500hz for typical LDC. But once you put the diaphragm on the backplate the resonant frequency shifts considerably because air behind dampens it. Not to mention center screw termination. They are tuned to specific frequency to ensure consistency and performance of low end, and it doesn't stick to the backplate.
Is it the same for dinamic microphones? (I mean that I heared that dynamic microphones have higher resonance, is it true though? If yes why they do it?) And does all condenser microphones resonance tuned to specific frequency (I mean non SDC Condenser microphones). Don't the manufacturers of cheap microphones tune out this resonance? I apologise for my meticulousness)))

Last edited:
Is it the same for dinamic microphones? (I mean that I heared that dynamic microphones have higher resonance, is it true though? If yes why they do it?) And does all condenser microphones resonance tuned to specific frequency (I mean non SDC Condenser microphones). Don't the manufacturers of cheap microphones tune out this resonance? I apologise for my meticulousness)))
Dynamics have way different construction and mechanical operation. The diaphragms are not tensioned at all, but i don't know how the resonance affects the tone in these.

Some cheap capsule manufacturers do tune every aspect meticulously, like 797 audio which i have mentioned, some don't. Røde have high manufacturing standards, but they choose to use higher tension for other reasons, which leads to weaker low end response, which can be brought back with EQ. This is not bad per se, just engineering compromise to achieve other things they thought were more important.

This is why i said it has nothing to do with the price, but how serious or knowledgeable they are about the whole process. Cathedral Pipes are expensive, they make everything by hand, but still they had catastrophic issues with their M7 tuning and stability in the past. Don't know if that is still the case. They started their endeavor in the dark ages when little was known about M7 capsules, the issue came from lack of knowledge at the time.

Yes, all condensers should be tuned to a specific frequency, if nothing else for consistency sake.

Last edited:
When it comes to a given name brand mic versus some attempt to copy it, another aspect that can result in different sound is different parasitic capacitance from the use of different parts.

Latest posts

Back