API-looking MAP EQ and Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbox

My boss found this oddity in a local junk store. An eq and compressor made by a company called "MAP" Modular Audio Products from Bohemia, NY. They appear to be API-knockoffs of a sort. At least outwardly. Same knobs, script, controls, etc.

Does anybody know anything about these? I would love to get them running if it would be worth it but I would need to build a power supply for the modules. Any suggestions where to start?

Your ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mr. Box,
Get that digicam out and post a few pictures.
If it is an API knockoff, then it will require anything from + & - 15V to + & - 20V.

I have a supply design by Justin @ Roll Music on my site that will get the job done. Just leave out the 48V section.

http://www.purpose.freeserve.co.uk/apimicpre.htm

peter

Those ain't API knockoffs. Those are pre API built by the same designers. Like Melcor. All built in the same neighborhood. In the same place as the EMT docs inthe other thread is the "first" API console. It is assembed out of MAP and Melcor parts IIRC. If anyone in the NY/NJ area is looking for a project come look at it and make an offer. I don't own it but I will have to move it soon. I don't want to move that beast and the owner needs it like he needs a hole in the head.

hope this works.......

detail

detail

detail

Those MAP opamps looks just tiny compared to an API 2520.

I would love to know if it uses the same circuit as melcor 1731.

time for the stupid new-guy question of the day:

what does that mean? +/- 15?

I don't know squat about this stuff but I'm all about doin' a litttle legwork/soldering/research. You gotta star somewhere, right?

Today, a psu, tomorrow, the ssl clone!

It means the power supply can output a +15vdc rail and a -15vdc rail. This is not the same as a single-ended supply... ie, one that outputs 15vdc and then you have a ground.

Does that help?

ok. i get it. is ther some way to tell what sort of power a device is looking for?
if i find a schematic for a +/- 15 psu, and the modules are expecting less, i'll probably fry 'em, huh?

this whole site pretty much completely rules.

If you dont want to build your own supply from scratch, you can get an open frame power one supply and just stick it in a box, they make +/-15 volt supplies. I think you'll probably find, however, that the linear supply you'll make yourself might sound better than the power one, I at least noticed an improvement when I replaced my power ones for homebrew. when you hook up the supply, in order for it to work right, you need to make sure that in addition to the +15 DC and -15 DC you also have the 0V going to the appropriate ground on the modules. There should be three wires total going from the supply to the module, this was a big thing to learn for me coming from just having worked with singled ended supplies that were just +24v dc and 0V.

dave

This site does rule. Y'all kick ass.

I just completed a parts list with Newark part numbers, so I can order all the parts from Newark when I get ready. They don't seem to offer single resistors... they want you to order in packs of 100, which is expensive. But I have a local place here in town that has resistors.

I also couldn't find an equivalent for the screw terminals on the original parts list, but I'll probably just solder the wires directly to the board.

Let me know if you want the list and I'll email it to you as an excel file.

I did a little more digging. It turns out that Melcor and MAP are one in the same. Melcor Audio Products. The earlier opamps say Melcor and the later ones say MAP.

Latest posts

Back