TLM170 with Tim Campbell CT12 capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moby

www.mobytransformers.com BV.8, Bv.11, Bv.12, T14/1
GDIY Supporter
I really like the original TLM170 but this one was with re-skinned K89 inside and sounded a bit funky. I decided to go with CK12 since the K89 is edge-terminated just like the legendary CK12. My first choice was of course, Tim's  CT12. Really well machined and carefylly tuned transducer. At first I thought that it would be the "piece of cake job", but it turned out in to serious mechanical challenge because TLM's isolation rubber capsule distancer is thread glued :(
I really hate to ruin the original parts so I decided to recreate plate and isolation distancer to fit CT12 capsule holder. Some solidworks , some cnc-ing, a bit of rubber molding and some more mechanical surgery took me few days to make it work.
Here are the pics of this little project. ... Sound? Well, it sounds wonderfull! Bright but not harsh, very simiar to C12 but with a litle more transients because of the TLM's circuit. Of course, I kept the original parts if I decide  to put back this little guy back to original .
Cheers ;)
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Latest posts

Back