Sourcing 20k dual log pot for API channel strip

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, friends,

I'm working on a pair of API channel strips for a client and one of them has a broken 20k dual log used for the gain. I've been trying to locate one, but it seems that the 1/8" shaft versions are hard to find. I emailed them directly to see if they would sell me one, but I'd rather not give them any of my money if I can avoid it. If anyone knows where to find one of these guys that would be super great.

Also, I may want to look into doing some upgrades while I have it open. I see they have the original looking 2520 stickers on the op amps, but have no idea if these are just for show or if its the still the same ones as found in the vintage units. I thought about replacing these with Red Dots. The input transformer is unmarked as well. I know that modern API gear has never impressed me and I've been very pleased with the sound all of the units I've built based on the original schematics. If anybody has any suggestions on what can be done to make marked improvement without completely overhauling the entire board, I would gladly welcome and appreciate them.

Thanks!

Paul

Just a quick update.

I pulled the pot from the board and it seems that a single gang would work. There is nothing on the board that is connected to one of the row. I went ahead and ordered from API as the potentiometer is made by a company called Nobel and is the XVB93GPHPN model pot, but it's a custom order with a 1/8" shaft as the one on the data sheet shows a 6mm shaft. It would probably require me to order at least 100 of these if I wanted it to come from manufacturer. I prefer Bourns over these guys as I've never had a shaft just pull out of it housing like this one. If anyone else comes across this with API gear, now you know.

I may build a channel strip myself and send it to the artist I work with for comparison.

Thanks!

Paul

Latest posts

Back