Anyone know of a way to test out a high end control surface?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Hi folks,
I'm considering investing in a higher end control surface.  I primarily use Cubase, and the Nuage looks amazing but I'm thinking of maybe using something like the Avid S3.  Do any of you guys know of a rental service or anything where I could test out the board for a couple weeks to make sure it will work for my setup?  I'm based in Austin, TX USA. 

Avid is currently on tour to show their hardware ( S3 S6 , protocols dock, MTRX, etc).  Look for a dealer in your area.  We will have them at Wind over the Earth in Colo October 6. Just bring a laptop and interface for rj45 and plug in.  I do like the S3 but Nuage looks great also.

Thanks for that tip.  I did all the Googles and I didn't find any other mention of any Avid demos coming up.  I even searched for the name of the guy there at avid that is doing the one at your guys shop.  They need a lot of help with their marketing if they are trying to get the word out about this tour!

I don't know it's a tour but had an email from Wind over the earth about the avid hardware .  Sorry I just assumed it was a tour.  Mickey the owner lives and breathes audio.  He loves modern tech as well as a great collection of vintage collector hardware. 

A good dealer will make things happen for you if they know you are serious.  I've used Nuage a little and it feels good.  The S3, like much of Avid's hardware feels a little less than substantial.  That said my friend across the hall uses an S6 and for the most part it works well.

Being a DIY guy have you looked at the Midibox stuff?

Yeah I have looked closely at the midibox stuff.  I want a deeper integration than what mackie control will give me. 

Mbira said:
Yeah I have looked closely at the midibox stuff.  I want a deeper integration than what mackie control will give me.

Understood.  It's an interesting problem with control surfaces, so many one of functions are often quicker with a keyboard shortcut that using the dedicated key.  Plug in integration is what separates the men from the boys.

A dealer like RSPE here in L.A has a showroom with a Nuage and S3 on permanent display, you could spent a day in there working and comparing.

ruairioflaherty said:
Understood.  It's an interesting problem with control surfaces, so many one of functions are often quicker with a keyboard shortcut that using the dedicated key.  Plug in integration is what separates the men from the boys.

A dealer like RSPE here in L.A has a showroom with a Nuage and S3 on permanent display, you could spent a day in there working and comparing.

These things are so expensive it would be worth the trip to go out and really sit with them.  I have a hard time with the idea of spending that much money on a controller-especially if it's something where they will come out with a new model in a year or two.  At least with something like an API you know the value with maintain itself. 

Mbira said:
These things are so expensive it would be worth the trip to go out and really sit with them.  I have a hard time with the idea of spending that much money on a controller-especially if it's something where they will come out with a new model in a year or two.  At least with something like an API you know the value with maintain itself.

Agreed. I do a lot of work with RSPE so if you want an intro to the owner just PM.  They are good people.

Re the value of a controller I think you have to look at it one of to ways, either you pay for it completely with 3 years work or you hang onto it until it's completely unsupported. 

I looked at the s3 but ended up with 4 artist mix units,  was less money and more faders.  A little flimsy feeling but way better for plugins than hui.

So you could also try those too get a feel for the eucon integration if the s3 is unavailable to demo.

Latest posts

Back