Transistor Collector-Emitter Voltage - Tradeoffs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot

For any given transistor type you usually fine at least two choices of max VCEO (for example 40V, 60V and 80V versions of the same type). All things being equal, I'd instinctively choose the higher voltage component. But I'm guessing all things aren't equal. Like maybe the Base-Collector capacitance is higher in the higher voltage versions?

Are there any general tradeoffs associated with different max VCEO and what impact do they have on circuit performance ?

Thanks!

Thomas

40V is cheaper than 80V. I remember when it was a real difference. It still is if you buy 100,000. But these days in DIY quantity the difference is lost in rounding.

When the "same" part is sold 40, 60, 80V, they are all the same part and very often you get 80V parts even if you order 40V. No significant difference.

If the choice is 40V or a "similar" 300V part: high voltage may be lower gain or other parameter shift.

Agree---the parts are a sort, with testing done to the voltage spec, when they share the same datasheet.

National used to have a very useful book with lots of typical curves for different processes. They stopped doing anything so useful some years ago---maybe it was just too much work, or perhaps they worried that people were taking the typical curves as guaranteed parameters.

The illuminating thing was, though, that you could see how many transistors were basically the same chip inside, just sorted for various parameters and sometimes in different packages.

One exception: for diodes like the 1N400X series, there is a structural/doping change for the highest voltage parts, even though it's one big datasheet. And there are minor disadvantages in using a 1N4007 where a 4002 would do.

Back