new microphone from Mark

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a perfect mic. Not expensive either. It's just that i find the name confusing, i thought its an omni mic.

I truly believe a  good flat LDC that takes good EQ is all you need  90%  of the time in modern digital age.

I've been checking one out recently, it's very good, very open and realistic, pretty low proximity effect so can be worked very close, very smooth and takes EQ very well, no edginess to it at all.  Today it became one female clients favorite vocal mic, and we've tried a lot of different things on her over the last few years. 

This thing looks interesting. Does it really help reduce standing waves and reflections? I can't imagine that's very true, or at least not true in the way it sounds.

Icantthinkofaname said:
...... Does it really help reduce standing waves ......
Of course..... now how does it work:
There is a built-in invisible-fog dispenser and when the mic detects a standing wave it releases some of this invisible-fog in a modulated way which changes the speed of sound in the now fogged air thus cutting off the standing wave  ;) ;) ;)  So simply in-waste your hard-earned money and buy ten of them..... and if there is still some money left, I have some "special" microphones for sale  ;)

Some weeks ago, Mark sent me my custom-version of a Samar VL37A with my request for the top-end to be very-heavily rolled-off and an ultra-tight bottom; specifically as a drum room mic or for drums in general. I’m looking forward to really playing with it a lot! Unfortunately, I already have a feeling I’m going to need another (or two) whenever I can afford it! Doh!

Along with it, he sent his new cardioid large diaphragm capsule for his new Omni8 TF08 mic to try, since we had talked quite a bit on the phone about capsules in general.

I immediately dropped it off with Chris Prucher of Barbaric Amplification, as he just happens to live but a couple miles from me and has built me literally 10 different styles of tube mics; some clones, some his own designs, and some we’ve collaborated on a bit. Obviously, he knows my standards of quality and I know his.

This capsule has an amazing range of sounds depending on polarization. It actually makes playing there worthwhile, unlike a lot of capsules. 30-40V definitely sounds best in the traditional-sense. Still, typical 60V or so still sounds awesome and causes it to have a very, very, hot output.

Chris has tried quite a few tube designs with the capsule already, with various transformers and mostly with sub-miniature tubes. A favorite is definitely a C37-type

I think over the next couple weeks, we’ll try to get a few samples together; maybe try some with both a favorite cathode-follower and a favorite plate output.

Attachments

• FDFD73CD-30FE-4653-8594-0280147CFC22.png
    FDFD73CD-30FE-4653-8594-0280147CFC22.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
By the way, that’s aluminum for the diaphragm. I ask Mark about and he said it was the best of what they tried. I remember Oliver said it was the best sounding too.

Attachments

• 2A53B236-63EF-4FDE-AD22-57AAC9A77D40.jpeg
    2A53B236-63EF-4FDE-AD22-57AAC9A77D40.jpeg
    941.9 KB · Views: 128
The download link above only works if you're registered to realgearonline; here's the link to the thread, for which you don't have to register and which has some internal pics of the TF08.

http://realgearonline.com/thread/8555/omni8-audio-tf08-review

I have had several other vocal sessions with clients using their normally preferred vocal mic and the TF08 beside it, and the clients have unanimously picked the TF08.  It's interesting that I might not pick it as a secondary observer in all cases, but I also get their points as to why they prefer it.  In the cases where I might go with the other initially, I also can't really fault anything about the TF08, it's just an aesthetic observation. 

Latest posts

Back