help at recapping a Telefunken U373a ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToniTonmann

Hello everyone,

i have a pair of U373a compressors that need recapping, but none of the usual suspects -guys here in germany who have done that before does respond. So i'm thinking of doing it myself. I have very little knowledge of electronics but i can solder. Is it possible to do that with these skills ? ;) If so, i would like to ask for some help of you - which condensers exactly need to be changed, which to buy as replacement, and if there's something else to consider (besides polarity) ?
Is there anyone who has done that successfully before who'd guide me through that ? (i'd actually pay a small allowance if that is ok here)

Be VERY careful to not overheat the pcb traces as they become unstuck with little heat applied?!

Benn soldering most of my life (30+ years) and still get squeaky bum every time I work on these units!!

Wouldn't recommend to work on these unless very confident soldering skills.

Coincidence - just today i got a reply from a technician, he'll do it and doesn't even cost that much.
Nevertheless thanks for the "warning"...sounds like it's not a work for me then  :)

Back