Recapping an m512 (First project of this sort)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianrosalesrecording

Hello!

For some background: I’ve done a few audio diy kits and have repaired some guitars and basses in the past, so I have a bit of soldering experience, but only a moderate amount of electronics knowledge/experience. A friend of mine has an unusably noisy m512 board that I wanted to try and fix.

I have a m512 of my own that was recapped by the previous owner and functions very well. I looked inside of mine to try and figure out which capacitors they had replaced, but it looks like they switched just about all of them out. Is this the most effective way to go about a recapping, or do I only need to replace certain capacitors?

I’ve heard that it’s easy to burn out the traces on some older pcbs as well. Should I get a desoldering station, or should it be fine to just use the iron and a desoldering pump?

Lastly, I imagine I’d need to recap the power supply, correct? Are there any best practices for dealing with these capacitors? I’m terrified of dealing with power supplies, so I want to make sure I can go about and discharge everything safely before I get close to that side of the board.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back